LSU Stadium Expansion bid awarded...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerEducated, Nov 20, 2003.

1. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

60 million to a Biloxi based construction company...

I wonder what the in-state low bid was...

www.daily-report.com

2. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

OK...So what you're telling me is that their lives are seriously impacted by 60 million dollars in bids for a Stadium Expansion project?

Could you tell me how, and not just complain?

Spell out what you mean by that statement...

3. Uncle Gus

Uncle Gus Founding Member

I agree with Tiger Educated, and I can't see what anyone would have to gripe about. If a bunch of local fat cats got the job, people would be b!tching that they had the fix in with the TAF.

The reason for the award to Yates Construction is the value engineering aspect of their proposal..... they have guaranteed that construction costs will not exceed a cost level, and through this process of value engineering, they will ultimately offer a cost savings to the TAF or the stadium will get better appointments/fixtures for the same money.

If you knew anything about construction, you would understand that the majority of a construction project of this magnatude would almost assure the use of local subs for concrete, steel, fixtures, and equipment.

I am in the construction business, and I do not work for Yates Construction, but this makes sound fiscal sense to me.

If the people (who you claim are to be hurt by this) were smart, they should align themselves to Yates for the subcontracting that will result from this. So unless the people you know, own a major construction firm and could not be missing any meals if they were working on a project this size, I think you must be mistaken.

4. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

As long as it is the most competitive bid in regards to quality and price I am happy regardless of where the company is based out of.

5. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

You are right ... the good ole boys in Louisiana who have lined their pockets with millions of dollars of taxpayers money through cost overruns and project delays will suffer.

I really feel bad about it...

6. ColonelHapablap

ColonelHapablap Founding Member

The Advocate says that the biloxi firm was given the 'value engineering' job, and haven't been awarded the job. The problem is that all of the bids came in WAY over the $60 M budget. That's not a bid problem or a construction problem, it's a design problem. The fun part is that the design firm(s) who overdesigned the thing will probably get paid based on the original bids. Then, this Yates company will get paid to bring it back under budget. At that point, they'll probably get the job, because they will deliver a new design that they know will bid higher than what they can bid, because they know exactly where there is room in the design to cut costs. The fix that is in is not on the construction side, but on the design side. Those jobs aren't bid, they're given to people who know the right people, and not necessarially always the best.

7. HotBoudin

HotBoudin Freshman

I, too have lived in this business for over 20 years. While it would be nice to have a "local" company, Yates certainly has the wherewithall to build and complete this project. It gets down to who submitted the best proposal, demonstrated the ability to perform & made the economics work out. It would be wrong to take the second or third best proposal because they are local and have the project's quality/completion date/economics at risk.

If you want to blame someone, blame the locals (the folks that put the bid response together) for not being competitive with Yates.

8. SpringTiger

SpringTiger Founding Member

Texican, I feel for you and your family. Bu , ' a fact of life for people in that business. Just as in sports, you win some, and you lose some. :angry: :cuss: :cry: :mad: :( Your father's company will probably win some other jobs. But, because they didn't get this one, doesn't mean tha ' "pathetic" that the contract went to a Mississippi firm. With the size of this contract being what it is, LSU would be crazy to limit the competition to strictly local companies. Sorry, again, and I wish you and yours all the best.

9. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

I feel for you Texican, but like Spring said, that is the nature of the business...They must have submitted a bid too high and LSU has to pick the best possible and most reasonable Bid...I know many people in construction and landing bids is a tricky thing...Too low of a bid and you could go bankrupt, but too high of a bid and you won't be awarded to bid...There are just too many variables and I'm afraid that LSU has to go for the best one offered. Your fathers company must not have had the best bid and that is just life in business for you...

10. flyingtigr

flyingtigr Founding Member

Texican, you need to get a grip man. I understand that you are in a pissed off state of mind right now, but look back at some of the things that you said. Your telling us to not judge what you said or give you a lecture, but you threw out a vague, controversial statement on an internet message board. Did you think noone would respond to or jump on that statement.

Also, you last post says that we need to stay out of your affairs. Dude, you brought up your familys situation, not us. I didn't see anyone jumping on your case for your family situation. They only gave you sympathy for your personal situation.

Grow up or lighten up.