LSU Stadium Expansion bid awarded...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerEducated, Nov 20, 2003.

1. SpringTiger

SpringTiger Founding Member

I hardly think anyone here has gotten into your "affairs," Tex. This is a forum for discussion. The topic is the stadium expansion bid. Some here may like the results while others may dislike it. But, we're just discussing it. Some of us have expressed empathy toward you, as you are more directly affected by the awarding of this contract than the rest of us. I don't see what's wrong with that.

As to whether I am "about to have (my) life seriously disrupted by something like this," I don't know if that is the case. But, my life was disrupted a little over a year ago when the Company that I had worked for for over 10 years lost some business and I was laid off. This followed a period of downturn during which I was very concerned that what, ultimately, happened would, indeed occur. I felt the stress and anxiety. And, I am not supported by my father - he passed away nine years ago. I support a WIFE and CHILDREN. And, they are accustomed to a pretty nice life style. So I think I've been in similar shoes to those you currently wear or may wear in the near future. For that reason, I believe I am in a position to understand to some extent what you are feeling and can extend a certain bit of empathetic feeling toward you.

Oh, and another thing - when I was a sophomore in high school, my father suddenly lost the job that he had for nearly 30 years. It was tough times for us. I have four siblings, and three were in college (LSU!). I was attending a private school (Catholic High of Baton Rouge). I went to work and paid my tuition. You think that was fun?! I really do believe that I can feel your pain!

I'll say this, though - and, please don't feel that I'm meddling in your affairs: I believe that everything happens for a purpose and the good Lord has His reasons for everything. One door closed for me a little over a year ago, but another one opened up. I started my own business and am much happier in what I am doing now.

Oh, by the way, I submitted a proposal for a pretty significant job a couple of days ago. If I don't get it, then it will be a big negative for me. But, I realize you don't win them all and there will be other business down the road a bit that I will chase. And, I will be just fine. I truly, truly, hope the same will be the case for you, your father, and your entire family. After all, we are "brothers in Tigers!"

Hey, I'll say a prayer for you and your family.

Best wishes, Texican.

2. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

Hey Texican, we all feel for you and unlike what you may think, we have all been through shitty times....But you brought it up. If you didn't want a response, don't post it...I feel for you and we are all tigers here, but it seemed like you were forgetting how construction companies work...Good luck with everything and I hope everything works out for you...

3. eric d

eric d Founding Member

Let me see if I get this. Your dad's company is in a bad way right now; therefore, they should have been awarded the project? Even though it probably wasn't the best deal? Why is your company so special? There are probably 1,000 other companies that are feeling hard times right now. Should LSU find work for them too? Quit blaming others for your hard times. Everyone has been through trying situations, and survived. I know I have. Why should LSU, or any organization for that matter, agree to accept an inferior proposal?

4. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

I feel for you Texican.

Construction is a tough business and i hope that it works out that your dad's company can get some sub work from the renovation.

Wish you the best and keep your head up.

Geaux Tigers

5. Cat Squirrel

Cat Squirrel Founding Member

Louisiana bid laws take precedence.....(Lowest qualified bidder)

Sometimes it sucks but that is the law.

PM me your father's company....I may be able to help...

6. ColonelHapablap

ColonelHapablap Founding Member

nopers

Louisiana bid laws only apply in public bid work, i.e., work to be paid for by the state. The west staduim expansion is a TAF deal, so they can give the work to whomever they please. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's one of the main reasons for TAF's existence -- to be able to build athletic facilities without all the red tape of public bid laws.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I don't have much experience with the construction business except for low level summer jobs when I was in school but I know people who have become millionaires very fast in the construction business and lost their money just as fast when work was slow or they got a job they underbid. I know skilled tradesmen who make very good wages when they are working and nothing when there is no work. Even if the company you work for has a big job you can end up with a real slim paycheck for a week where it rains almost every day. Most of the people I have known who make their living working on constuction jobs end up working for one company or another depending upon who has the work. If Texican's Dad is good at what he does he shouldn't have any trouble getting a job with whoever gets the contract.

8. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Not to sound too naive, but I'm assuming that the 60 million is for the Stadium Club??

I've read in Tiger Rag about the club, but I don't think I recalled if they said that was costing 60 million.

I wish they would close in the stadium some more on the upper decks--bring the seating to the sides of both scoreboards.