LSU Stadium Sounds -- NCAA Football 2010

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsudolemite, Jun 28, 2009.

1. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Mods, not sure where I should post this but I definitely could use some feedback, particularly from any Tiger Band members, so post visibility is important.

We are only a few weeks away from the release of NCAA Football 2010. Last year the series introduced a new feature called "Stadium Sounds", which allows players to use their own MP3s during certain parts of a home game, like "Geaux Tigers" for 1st down conversions, "Chinese Bandits" for turnover recoveries, etc. However, these can only be played during predefined game situations and the user cannot create their own, as of now.

There are a few attempts on the internet to compile the stadium sounds for each school, such as here and here, but they are sorely lacking/incomplete. Adding to the problem is actually finding MP3s of the songs/pieces played by the band. For example, instrumental versions of other songs (I'm guessing that are licensed by LSU) aren't available unless I went to a game with a recorder. Even worse, the Songs of LSU CD itself doesn't provide everything played by the band (Coda Fight, Oh-ee-oh chant, etc.)

Below is a list of stadium sounds that I know off the top of my head. Entries in bold are situations that are not currently made available by the game, but hopefully will be in the future. I'm striving for accuracy, so please let me know if there are any mistakes

Before the Game -- Drum Cadences
    Pregame -- Pregame (obviously)
    Successful FG -- Coda Fight
    Succeessful 2pt Conversion -- Coda Fight
    TD -- Last Part of Tiger Rag + T-I-G-E-R-S chant (my own edited MP3)
    Successful PAT -- "Tigers!" part of chant + Coda Fight (my own edited MP3)
    Safety -- Chinese Bandits ?
    Def. Stop on 3rd Down -- Chinese Bandits
    Def. Stop on 4th Down -- Chinese Bandits
    Kickoff -- Oh-ee-oh (for now), not available on mp3
    Home Timeout -- Neck, Pregame ?
    Visitor Timeout -- Neck, Pregame ?
    Turnover -- Chinese Bandits
    Def. Takes Field after Kick Return -- (nothing)
    Def. on 3rd/4th Down -- (nothing)
    1st Down Conversion (on any down) -- Geaux Tigers
    Offense 2nd Down -- 2nd Down Cheer
    Offense 3rd Down -- 3rd Down Cheer (Part of Eye of the Tiger)
    Visitor FG Miss -- Chinese Bandits ?
    Challenged Play -- Neck ?
    Start of 4th Quarter -- Pregame
    Penalty on Visiting Team -- (nothing)
    Postgame -- Alma Mater

Now I realize that a lot of the songs played during timeouts, reviews, etc. alternate (Neck, Eye of the Tiger) so let me know if I've left anything out. Also, can anyone give me a list of the covers done by Tiger Band (like Smells Like Teen Spirit, Calling Baton Rouge, Eye of the Tiger, Living on a Prayer, Crazy Train, etc.)

Thanks so much for any help, hope this gets everyone in the mood for football season!

Edit: Hey Baby and Hey Fightin Tigers are also in the timeout/review/pre-kickoff lineup.

2. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I think LSU's band is THE main reason why tiger stadium is really Death Valley to opposing teams.

All schools have their bands and songs that rev up the crowd, but nowhere does a band elicit such primal emotions as does the Golden Band from Tigerland.

The pregame alone is like waving a pork chop in front of a starving pit bull. The opposing team may act confident during this, but deep down inside they're thinking "I hope we get out of here alive!".

Personally, when I hear the pregame, I get goosebumps and tears usually come out of my eyes as I'm screaming. It's powerful to say the least.

3. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Great thread. Reminds me of some questions I've been pondering.

I seem to remember (during my college days in the dreaded 80s) the GBFTL used to hold the last note (after T-I-G-E-R-S) until after the PAT, then blast it.

They don't do this now. I'm assuming I'm either mistaken in my memory, or TV may have something to do with it?

Also, what year did Neck start? I've been out of state since graduation and was pleasantly surprised by the addition of this tradition to the stadium atmoshpere.

Finally - I remember a version of Tiger Rag (I think) after scores where the students would chant "Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha". In my jr and sr years, we started adding "azzhole, azzhole" and then they stopped playing that version. Anyone else remember that or have a link to audio of that?

4. StadiumSalute

StadiumSalute It's Gameday!

5. Tigerbnd05

Tigerbnd05 National Champs 2003 2007

They do hold the last note until after the PAT.

Neck started in 2006

Oh ee Oh is out there on one of the old CD's when they did recording sessions and didn't just record Tigerama. Not sure what year but it was definately before 2001 and probably 2000.

Because they haven't done recording sessions since '99, I think, they don't have any of the down cheers on the recent recordings.

Its hard to find stands tunes that they play unless they were done in a show because that is all that is really played at Tigerama.

They don't sell the recordings of Tigerama, they just give copies to the Tigerband members, because they would then have to pay royalties to all the different companies/recording artists who originally recorded the songs.

Good luck finding the clips you want.

6. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

I was on the '99 recording session. I'll see if I can come up with something.

7. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

They still do it. What I was saying in the OP was that I had to take Tiger Rag and the Coda/Fight for LSU tracks and mix them to get that effect.

Yeah, that was yanked since the TB powers-that-be decided we were bad little boys and girls by saying such naughty words and sent us to bed without dinner to teach us a lesson. Haven't come across it yet. Youtube has a lot of clips of songs recorded with cell phones, but the audio is horrible.

8. Hambone0920

Hambone0920 Freshman

Another cover they use to play was "You Dropped the Bomb On Me" by the Gap Band.

9. StadiumSalute

Pretty sure I have the full song from one of the studio recordings as an mp3. Will double-check when I get home.

Tiger Rag returned in 2000 or 2001 after a long hiatus due to the same chant. It was pulled again a couple of years ago. Pulling Tiger Rag that time even affected Pregame because that's what was played when the LSU flipped to the East side. Hey Fighting Tigers replaced it.

10. StadiumSalute

The Ides of March - Vehicle
    George Clinton and Parliment Funkadelic - Tear the Roof Off the Sucker(Give Up the Funk)
    Kool and the Gang - Jungle Boogie
    Santana - Oye Como Va
    Bruce Channel - Hey Baby
    Booker T and the MG's - Green Onions
    Isaac Hayes - Theme from Shaft
    Offspring - Come Out and Play
    Dazz Band - Let it Whip
    Cameo - Talkin' Out the Side of Your Neck (aka Neck)