LSU team analysis....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Whiskey Aggie, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Whiskey Aggie

Whiskey Aggie Founding Member

What are you guys strengths/weaknesses, and why do you think you will beat A&M??

I'm kinda anxious to see these responses!!:thumb:

2. BB

BB Founding Member

Strengths: Pure talent, solid bats through the entire lineup, recently more aggressive and confident pitching staff, several hitters in a groove lately, solid leadoff man, SEC Player of the Year, the best fans in college baseball, HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE - LSU SIMPLY DOESN'T LOSE AT THE BOX IN THE POST SEASON...

Concerns: Bullpen has worked very little over the last 3 weeks, lack of speed on the bases, conservative baserunning with simultaneous mental baserunning errors has been a concern for some, pickoffs, hit into TONS of double plays, minor nagging injuries to a couple of starters, crazy knack for losing the first game of a series throughout the season...

This LSU team played last weekend like they had something to prove. And, I guess LSU baseball teams always do. These kids, IMO, finally got an identity at the end of the year and I look for them to keep that mentality through the weekend. All that being said, I see this series coming down to the pitcher's mound...

3. Whiskey Aggie

Your last sentence said it best...

We have two very good starting pitchers, and two others that are capable of great outings, but are very inconsitent...

Our bullpen has a solid closer, but sometimes the middle relief can be shaky...

Our top 6 hitters are very solid, and have very high On Base Percentages... 1-6 can pop one out at any time... 7-9 are up and down, and are the reason are avg. isn't higher...

We don't like to run much either, but if the bottom of our lineup is up, we will hit and run, and play small ball quite a bit!!

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I'll stick to home field advantage and our confident starting pitching. No way eaTme beats LSU.

5. sugarlsu

sugarlsu Founding Member

We may lose games, but we don't lose series, the Aggies are in trouble.

Geaux Tigers!

6. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

We simply don't lose often at The Box in postseason! We have won 9 consecutive regionals ... the last regional lost was in 1995. We've hosted 2 SRs and have won them both.

We can talk about pitching, hitting and fielding all we want, but there is something special about The Box this time of year. Just look at our performance last weekend ... up and down all year, then we string together 3 very solid games in the regional.

I do think it'll be an exciting series with A&M ... just the fact that it's A&M will increase the intensity in the stands, which should juice up the players even more.

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I know what all of you guys are saying about the BOX, it does seem amgical. But the BOX has yet to hit one homerun, steal a base, strike out a batter, etc so let's not be to over confident. Our guys need to step up like they did last weekend and play their hearts out.

8. Beaux-Bo

Beaux-Bo Founding Member

Whiskey,
    Out of curiosity what do you think makes Olsen field the #1 college baseball road trip in America? If the Tigers were playing there, what would make that trip for me the best experience in college baseball? I am not throwing darts, but would like to know. I know what the Army fans and C of C would say about the Box, just curious about the Olsen experience. :usaflagwa :laflagwav :tigbas:

9. Whiskey Aggie

I'm not the one that rated it the #1 college baseball atmosphere... Sports Illustrated did.... you might ask on texags.com for that article...

Olsen is consistently in the top 3 or 4 in baseball attendance each year, it has one of the best tailgating scenes with Aggie Alley behind the left field fence... largest crowd was 11,052 with 2500 in Aggie alley....

We have around 4500 students show up for each game, and they are rowdy... we have been known to get the "number one" sign from the visiting pitcher week in and week out...

A&M is always much better at home... I believe we were 28-8 at home this year??

10. Whiskey Aggie