LSU to play on artifical surface once this season

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SoLa in NoIll, Jul 21, 2003.

1. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

What seems more intereresting is the amount of money Ole Miss is spending on its football program that last couple of years.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Oh when the Ain'ts, go fumblein' in - When the Ain't go Fumblein' in - I don't want, to be in that number- When the Ain'ts go Fumblein' in

3. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

I thought the same thing, Dallas. It appears that Ole Miss generates enough $$$ in club seating and boxes to pay for all these improvements while LSU has to scrounge to find money to pay for a desparately needed new roof on the PMAC. If this isn't an example of the need for some new fee structure in Tiger Stadium, I'm not sure what is.

And thanks for the corrections on the number of times we'll play on an artificial surface this year. I failed to include the SECC game and the Sugar Bowl in my thread title, although that turf is much different than the type of turf in V-H, which supposedly closely resembles grass.

4. occstud

occstud Freshman

this should not be a hard adjustment for the Tigers. That surface feels and looks like grass. Speed does kill on that type of surface.

5. eric d

eric d Founding Member

Re: just trying to get any little advantage they can get

This type of turf is not that new or rare. A lot of schools are using it these days because the overall maintenance and upkeep is cheaper than grass. It is also longer and softer than the typical astro turf fields, so it is almost as soft as grass. It also doesn't tear up during a rain game. A lot of schools up north use it, such as Nebraska.

6. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

That's disappointing. I hate turf! It cheepens the look of the game.

7. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Re: ....

Yeah, they'll save money--but eventually lose it when players will stop committing to Ole Miss because they don't want to tear up their knees. Then, their program will go down the crapper.

8. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

This new turf is not as hard on the knees as the old fashioned carpet-on-concrete astroturf. There is like a 1" thick cushion of ground up car tires that absorbs alot of the shock and save players knees the wear and tear.

9. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

The new turf looks exactly like grass and feels similar, except the rubber infill actually gives you a springy effect that makes you run a little faster and jump a little higher. They just installed a similar product called SprintTurf at SLU (SprintTurf, ActionTurf, FieldTurf, RealGrass.. they are all the same basically) and it looks like grass except it doesn't get uprooted or turn colors.

10. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

If you have an outdoor stadium, football should be played on real grass. No exceptions.