LSU v Mississippi St: Who's on the Hot Seat?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Feb 5, 2011.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Alot has been made in recent weeks, of potentially, is Coach Trent Johnson on the hot seat? Certainly, LSU has a young team, struggling to find a rhythm, with some players perhaps somewhat underperforming. That said, the LSU Tigers have shown glimpses of improvement glimpses of what this young team could mature into with some very good recruits coming in. I continue to contend to be patient, Rome wasn't built in a day, and well, the Tigers I believe are like the 9th youngest team in all of Div1 bball.

As they approach today's game against SEC Rival, Mississippi State, it raises interesting questions for perhaps LSU fans to have some perspective on. Trent squares off against one of (now) the "old guard" in the SEC, Rick Stansbury. When you look at SEC coaches, god forbid going back beyond John Brady even, Stansbury has been at Miss St since the 1998 season. Between LSU and Miss St, frankly, if you go back to the 2004 season one of the two has owned the SECW title. In Brady's 11 seasons at LSU, he went to the postseason 6 times (4 NCAA, 2 NIT). In Stansbury's 12 completed seasons at MSU, he's gone to the postseason 10 times (6 NCAA, 4 NIT). Both men went to the Final Four once.

Now, Stansbury hasn't always been considered a basketball genius, but at times has probably overachieved. He certainly has found a way "recruit" good players, though, and through the latter half of the Brady tenure, MSU would pick off good LA players more than LSU would pick off good Miss players. Is Stansbury a good coach? Based upon his post season record, perhaps. The "consistency" of going to the postseason, is something LSU could be envious of. Is that alone what makes a good program?

Fast forward to today, and LSU with Trent Johnson seems to find a MSU team in disarray. If you read the MSU headlines this season, it would be like a bad TV soap opera. Multiple players suspended or dismissed, players fighting, players held out indefinitely b/c of NCAA investigations. The latest headline is one of MSU's players Ravern Johnson, being suspended because of all things, "Tweeting" about how players at MSU transfer, b/c of the decisions about playing time by their coach. A talented, experienced team with many Srs and Juniors, plus interesting recruiting calls (Renardo Sidney, John Riek), was expected to challenge for the SECW. Now they stand at 11-10 and 3-4.

As the LSU rantards and general fan populus thinks about the job that Trent is doing, trying to build the program "the right way" and recruiting good players who aren't simply looking out for themselves or a jump to the NBA, or simply represent LSU and the state of LA well, let's think twice before casting the stone at him, in his 2nd year of rebuilding. Afterall, shouldn't Coach Rick Stansbury be on the hot seat? Or, would you rather a Rick Stansbury be the coach at LSU?

LSU may not win today against a more talented and experienced team, but frankly, I'm still behind Trent and believing in this team and his philosophies. There's more to life than simply wins today, and we should be mindful of what other SEC programs out there have seem to become.

:geaux::LSU231::bball::bball::bball::bball::bball:

2. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

It also occurs to me that Trent has just had some really bad luck with injuries. Of course every team has them, but with a team this young, when a leading scorer like Turner gets dinged up, and 1/3 of your big man tandem in Warren is playing with a nagging foot injury, the injury bug bites that much harder.

3. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

Mississippi State has had chemistry issues galore this season. (see- fist fights on national tv, post game tweets by players complaining about other players not passing enough, etc.). Hope we can sneak one past them given their troubles.

4. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

Tough loss today. No such thing as moral victories though so the team should be pissed. Poor offensive execution in the final minute. This team needs an go-to crunch time scorer in the worst way.

Better days ahead, gents.

5. Berge

Berge Founding Member

Johnson is an awful coach. I am officially refusing to support him anymore.

LSU took a 3 point lead with 3:23 to go in the game with a Stringer 3-pointer.

LSU had 5 more possessions in the game:

Ludwig turnover
    Green missed 2-point jumper (about a 20-footer)
    Turner turnover
    White turnover
    Stringer turnover

Yes. LSU attempted ONE shot in the final 3:20 of the game, and it was Garrett Green just inside the 3-point line. Several of those possessions came out of timeouts as well, including the very well executed "let Stringer take a contested 3-pointer in a 1-point game to win" play.

6. SyrTiger

SyrTiger ooo yea thats hot

It was a horrible sequence at the end. Stringer had no other thoughts in his head other than "I need to win this game". There was no "we". He was shooting that shot no matter what and when he had it striped he wouldn't pass it up to White at the top of the key.

Johnson called a time out and that's all he came up with. Horrid design since the only play they were going to run was a pick for Stringer to shoot anyway. That's why White was out near the 3 point line as opposed to being down low to rebound.

7. Tom Callender

Tom Callender Founding Member

Good game Tigers, tough loss, thats about all I can say at this point..

8. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I am sure that is just the way Trent drew it up. :rolleye33:

9. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Couldn't watch the game, and only could catch highlights on Geauxzone.

I think if you listen to post game comments, Trent comments on the last few plays. Obviously a coach doesn't draw up for his team to turn the ball over--there is something called execution. :rolleye33:

On the last play, he went to the kid that had led LSU in scoring and had hit two big threes. I think it's a common play to go to the "hot hand" right? Also, per Trent, I think he meant to give Stringer the ball (he is the point guard, right) and you either penetrate, and pick up a foul, or he shoots a jumpshot. Trent had drawn up a play for Malcolm earlier and he turned the ball over... Stringer commented that he could have gotten fouled, and watching the highlight, there was a good bit of physicality on the last 6 seconds. Twice Andre tried to get around his defender, and the defender nudged him off his drive. I think Trent wasn't very happy with the official on that last sequence either.

I think all you can say is, LSU played good defense, in a tight game, where they didn't shoot very well (again). But, they were at least competitive, and you're starting to at least see certain players settle down into roles--Green, White had reasonably good games. Ludwig and Bass and Dotson all had moments. Also, you've got to give your kids chances to win the game with the chips on the line--when kids get those opportunites and build confidence, those opportunities start to go your way. In this case, Stringer as a freshman, came up empty handed.

10. FriedBoudinBall

FriedBoudinBall Founding Member

yes, the players have to execute, but when your 7'0 center shoots more shots closer to the 3 point line than the bucket ... that is poor coaching. CTJ should bench his butt. Sure he makes 1 in 10, but that is ridiculous.

When your guards shoot 3 pointers with nobody under the basket to rebound, that is poor coaching ... take their butts out.

when they can't break the press, with 2 point guards on the floor ... that is poor coaching.

when they run NO offense and everybody stands around with their thumb up their boat, that is poor coaching.

when the best play you have after a timeout to win the game is for your point gaurd to try to drive, when everyone knows he is about to, that is poor coaching.

i'm over CTJ. i'm sure he'll get several more years, but this is terrible terrible basketball. for him to be a fundamental guy, it aint too fundamental. but hey actual attendance is great ... like 1500 ??? maybe 100 students?

pathetic. like the topic before ... anthony grant is doing wonders at Bama in year 2 compared to what we have here.