LSU v Mississippi St: Who's on the Hot Seat?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Feb 5, 2011.

1. SyrTiger

SyrTiger ooo yea thats hot

As for LSU, I'm actually not all that upset about the loss. TBH I thought they played pretty well for most of the game. It really came down to a few too many turnovers and misses free throws. Mistakes like that are correctable. They played tough defense and rebounded very well. Malcolm White had a great game. He stayed out of foul trouble and was able to get a lot of baskets(should have had 2 more if you include the missed dunk and layup).

Andre Stringer didn't have a good game, and it looked like he was over matched because of his size. He continually would trap himself in a corner and not be able to throw the ball out of there.

Ralston Turner played pretty well. Both he and Derenbecker have developed more moves and have become better players on offense.

2. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Yes I did catch their context. But right now, many a team has work to do to make it in. Anyone could make the argument that every win is absolutely important because of our RPI. We need to win the regular season. Just a play on words. If a loss is devastating, the value of the win is clear.

3. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

They HAVE to develop a press break. It's maddening to see them turn the ball over so many times on the press. When they do get it past half court it looks like they lucked into it. I see so many young mistakes. With time they are playing bettter.

Free throws...make your damn free throws.

4. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Chris Bass is the only guy we have that can get through it. His ball skills have impressed me. I just wish his game were more complete. He does somethings really well at times, but when he is off, he is way off.

5. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

I cant remember the games but earlier this year C. Bass in a two game stretch had three straight air balls... What made it bad is all three were wide open! If C.Bass could become just a decent 3pt shooter it would open his game up so much more. He's quick and could blow by most pg's in the SEC, if they are not giving him a 5 foot cushion!

6. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

On one play last night he went coast to coast with the ball and laid it in. He looked good doing it. Later he tried it again and missed everything. White or Green cleaned it up. The guy is simply terrible on offense. He can handle the ball, and at times can distribute it well. He can also play some solid d. But shooting...:rolleye33:

7. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

This dialogue calls out to me that sometimes we just lose sight of the fact that players play the games, coaches coach the players and try to put them in positions to succeed. There are also some things you can't teach. Chris Bass has always puzzled me because of his shooting, but at some level, you can't teach it. You can improve it, if the player shoots and shoots and shoots. But, there's also that crazy element of confidence. If you don't have it, sometimes it just seems like it never goes in.

All of this said, you look at Chris Bass now versus two years ago, and you do say, he's better. He drives into the lane with more control. He can break the press, and he can defend better at the point of attack. He really has to improve first from the free throw line, get some confidence there. He's hit some 3s this year, but needs to just spend all offseason shooting it.

Alot like this team, I think sometimes, it's just the belief that they can win, will the ball into the hole. It really does seem like the team has improved on defense, and that's encouraging. The trick is finding the confidence on offense. You get one post player and a couple of the perimeter players going, and this team very quickly could go from losing to winning. It's just a matter of putting together a complete game.

Geaux Tigers versus the GATORs today! :geauxtige

8. SyrTiger

SyrTiger ooo yea thats hot

They are looking OK against the gators right now. I think having Warren and Turner healthy makes the team better.

9. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

Great energy level in this second half against Florida. Still not enough play makers or shot makers on the offensive end unfortunately.

10. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

It's getting better. There is a win coming here somewhere. I can feel it.