LSU v Southern Football

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Krypto, Mar 9, 2010.

?

Should LSU and Southern play each other in Fooball?

1. Yes

33.3%
  2. No

66.7%
  1. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

On wafb or wbrz last night, they had an interview with Stump Mitchell (Southern FB Coach) and they asked him about playing LSU. He said he was game to do it in a couple (2-3) of years. I looked for the link but i could not find the video.

So here is the question, Do you think LSU should play Southern? Will it "bring together" or "tear apart" Baton Rouge?

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

i voted No, but if we are playing Northwestern State University, whats the difference. Personally i don't think any team should be allowed to schedule cupcakes.

On the other hand, it would give Southern a nice payout, and keep some money that would go to a place like UAB or Southern Miss, in Baton Rouge.

Maybe i shouldn't have voted no, because i am on the fence.

3. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

I voted yes because it would be fun and everyone would understand. It's an in town rivalry and I'm sure Southern would want to see how they stand against a team like LSU. Only if we have another big OOC team on the schedule though.

4. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

I voted no, whats the point. The talent mostly is in two different worlds.

5. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

We have McNeese State and UL-Monroe on the books this year. Is playing Southern any worse that playing Div 1-AA McNeese?

6. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

I get that MM. But once again, the talent difference between McNeese St and LSU is different worlds too? Why not keep it in town?

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

We've played Southern in baseball and basketball and we play other smaller Louisiana schools from time to time, its good local PR and politics for LSU. I don't want them for a traditional opponent but it is almost inevitable that we will play someday. But basketball and baseball have lots of games. Southern is understandably not all that wild about adding a sure loss to their 12-game football schedule. They are unlikely to ever win local bragging rights, there ain't a lot of upside for them, and as long as they fill their stadium, they don't need to become a rent-a-win team.

Right now Baton Rouge has two big fish in two big ponds. A one-pond town becomes a one big fish town.

8. kcal

kcal Founding Member

this

9. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

The I-AA teams are generally worlds better than the HBCUs in I-AA. It is why the HBCUs don't even send teams to the I-AA playoffs.

1 person likes this.
  10. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

i dont think we should play those two either, not even for homecoming.
    If we are going to play so called cupcakes, why not play teams like Kansas St, Colorado, Wake Forest, or NC State. Teams that are in the big conferences, but not considered powerhouses.