LSU v Virginia: Another Loss

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Tigers Paw

Tigers Paw Founding Member

Green certainly has improved and appears to be more athletic than White.
    Hopefully he can continue to improve the rest of the year and into next year.

2. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

You speak of heaven. It can't get here soon enough. As mentioned though, we do need some healthy pitching or we will be having this same conversation about CPM.:geaux:

Batter Up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Not necessarily more "athletic" per say, but perhaps more versatile. Frankly, I think that sometimes its better to be the "forgotten" man. Noone expects anything out of a kid like Green, given his recruiting grade and past performance, whereas everyone expected Malcolm White to the be the second coming of Tyrus Thomas or something. Green has been able to benefit from largely, for him being aggressive but playing within himself. He's hitting the glass and now finding putbacks and drives to the hoop a little easier. The 3s are little disconcerting for me, but he's also hit 40% from there, so he has a shot. What's killing me with him is his sub 50% FTs!!! No way he shouldn't be above 60%.

I've noticed that sometimes, the urgency and anxiety of winning sometimes plays on itself. Especially with a young team that isn't used to losing. Like Garrett who is now sort of playing within himself to be more productive, I think White needs to do that more. Don't press too hard and let the game come to you. I think likewise, the freshmen, faced with some losses are now tightening up a bit. Trent needs to keep them focused and aggressive but loose at the same time. Not always the easiest thing to do. Frankly, these last two season for Trent have likely been some of this toughest coaching challenges.

4. Tom Callender

Tom Callender Founding Member

I to think its gonna be a long year & all we can do is tough it out again & really really hope we will be deeper, better & play better defense next year. I hope Harris will get a fair try this year if he can ever get healthly, at least he can shoot. I'm disappointed but gonna hang in for the hoped for improvement next year. We still need a true point guard with size & quickness, been a very long time since LSU had one. With two really good players coming in next year & a lot of talented players listing LSU for 2012 things have just got to get better. Don't it?

5. TGer'nLHornLand

Well, you'll be disappointed, but maybe pleasantly surprised, with this news. Skuttlebutt (i.e., unconfirmed chatter) is that Dennis Harris is transferring. This could be expected with how little he's played, and Trent's at times outspoken frustration with Dennis' ability to translate some modest talent into effective play. Between injuries, school work (troubling considering he was I believe a good high school student) and work ethic in the weight room and practice court, Harris was getting farther and farther behind Ludwig and now Courtney.

If this turns out to be true, I certainly wish him well. It's sad to see our recent recruits from Atlanta GA (Delwan Graham and Dennis Harris) didn't pan out, but they were also legacy CJB recruits.

What this may mean though is another schollie for 2011, or saving a schollie for the bigger 2012 class. If Trent wants to make friends soon, he may have to go to a spring 2011 signing of a JUCO guard or decent unsigned high school guard (point guard preferable) for more guard depth. Or, he'll save the schollie for a potentially loaded 2012 class (with potentially more decent LA players to give the schollie too). Never a dull moment it seems....

6. 100%TigerBred

100%TigerBred Founding Member

Could this be a scholly that is now open for the return of KC Ross Miller, he is at UNO and can transfer w/o sitting out??? I had heard there was a possibilty of harris transfering before today. Also, heard rumors KC still wanted to play for trent here at LSU which is why he went to UNO so he could play and not miss anytime. If his grades are legit.

7. TGer'nLHornLand

So, the news now is that Harris is being (or was) dismissed from the team for academic reasons. Was reported today in the Advocate.

Interesting about Miller. It's certainly a possibility.

8. 100%TigerBred

100%TigerBred Founding Member

wow so now our young team just got a little younger. I know harris didn't play all that much recently but i would of liked for him to be able to hang on for the rest of the season for a little depth.

After reading the article looks like he violated team rules. Funny thing is wasn't that the same thing his buddy Graham was dismissed for??

9. TGer'nLHornLand

You're right. "violation of team rules". It's a shame, but frankly, it's not like Trent hasn't tried to work with this kid. The funny thing is, looking back at him as a high school recruit, I want to say that the kid was a honor roll student--actually thought about going to Stanford to play with Trent. But, as you mention, he was friends with Delwan Graham, who I think ran both into a little trouble, but more so just didn't fit with what Trent was running, so they parted ways. Harris was also involved with that Terrance Tolliver scuffle earlier last year. Then, there were the issues with him having little nicks and dings that seemed to continually keep him out. I agree it would have been nice to see this kid finish up with the team, but at some point too, he wasn't really adding much to this team and he was oddly sort of finding trouble.

In any case, if Trent really feels like Harris is behind Ludwig and Courtney, he wasn't going to see a ton of time this season anyway, and hopefully we can find use for his spot soon.

Out of all the leftovers from Brady's bunch, how odd is it that it's GARRETT GREEN that's making the most of his Trent time? 18 points for him on 9-11 shooting in a WIN against Auburn on the road. There's no excuse for Harris not being able to develop into something if Garrett bad back and all, can.