LSU Vision Plan=Better Non Conference Football Opponents

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DeathValley, Aug 13, 2003.

1. DeathValley

DeathValley Founding Member

I have heard on a number of occasions that the only reason we play 7 home games a year is to be able make enough money to help run the atletic program. I think that it is possible that if the plan is enacted, our Non Conference schedule could get better. Now teams like Texas, Ohio State, and other teams on that level usually will only start a series if it is 1 for 1. With the extra revenue created, will that allow use to drop a 7th home game and add a quality non conference game on the road.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

We don't need to drop a 7th home game to get quality big name opponents for home and home series. There are 4 SEC home games a year. Play 2 creampuff rent a win teams and a big time out of conference foes. If the NCAA makes the 12 game season permanent and I think the will for the extra money generated it is no problem. Say home and home series with Oklahoma and Notre Dame. One year LSU plays OK in Tiger Stadium and Notre Dame at South Bend and the next year OK at Norman and the Irish in TS. The next 2 years 2 more big time teams take their place on the schedule in the same home and home arraingment.

3. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

but the 12 game schedule will not be permanent. A quirk in the calander is allowing this.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

What kind of quirk in the calender? Last time I checked there were still 365 days in a year. The 12 game schedule will be a permanent fixture soon because of the extra money.

5. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Yeah, in recent past, a 12th game was offered only if you played the University of Hawaii' in Honolulu--to aide in paying for the trip....Other than that, the 12th game was non-existant--unless, of course, you played in the Pig Skin Classic in Giants Stadium or one of the first games of the season.

IMO, I think the 12th game is good--But then again, I can never get enough football. :)

However, in a 12-game season, they (the NCAA), needs to increase their "win-requirements" for a team to make a bowl game. A 6-6 team hardly qualifies, in my opinion, as a bowl-bound team.

6. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

A 12th game is only allowed under NCAA rules when there is a 14 week Saturday window during the season. This only happens in years when August 29, 30, or 31 falls on a Saturday. Cleary, this is uncommon, although it isnt altogether rare. The next time this happens will be 2008 when August 30th falls on a Saturday, then again in 2009 when the 29th falls on a Saturday. It happens in 2013 and 2014, as well. So we are looking at 2 consecutive years every 4-5 years.

7. Hub

Hub Founding Member

I think what they are implying is that b/c the conferences and NCAA have gotten fat ($) with the 12 game schedule this year and last, that they will agree to allow 12 games regardless of how many saturdays fall in what months. I bet it happens too.

To the point of the thread. I disagree. I would almost guarantee you LSU factored in 7 home games a year into their assessment of capital needs before dropping the bomb yesterday. Nothing is going to change.......book it. "Home & Home" with a big-time opponent will only occur with a 12 game schedule so you can keep the 7 home games. that's the only way I see us having a consistent big name on the schedule.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

LSU has always had home and home big name opponents even with the 11 game schedule and still had 7 home games. Right now we have Virginia Tech for 2004 and the Arizona series (OK, AZ is not exactly big time but they are in a BCS conference.) In the last 15 years the Tigers have had home and homes with Ohio State, Notre Dame, Texas A&M, Florida State, and others.

9. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Yeah, but our series with Virginia Tech and Arizona were only made possible through the 12 game season. I would like to see the 12 game season become permanent, if for no other reason than these high profile matchups.

10. Hub

Hub Founding Member

Don't disagree with you. But it has been at least 10 yrs since LSU has consistently had a home-n-home with a big name opponent.......i think the reason you have seen it go away is b/c of the school focus on revenue......that used to not matter or not matter as much.

In today's world an 11 game schedule including a big name OOC will not happen at LSU b/c you are going to only have 6 home games every other year. Now, if they shift to the 12 game schedule permanently it could be done.