LSU vs. Kentucky

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tigers Paw, Jan 15, 2011.

1. 100%TigerBred

100%TigerBred Founding Member

I agree we looked good against the first 2 teams, but they also aren't 3pt shooting teams. Uk is at almost 47% behind the line. The 3/2 works well against the dribble drive cause it doesn't allow you to get into the paint as easily and it also allows you to cover the 3pt line easier. In game adjustments is the one thing i see us real lacking. Maybe that is due to our young team, but i feel we need to implement more def. schemes, so we can adjust on the fly.

2. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Well, I haven't played or coached a lot of "3-2" zone, but in a 2-3, technically, your outside "3s" are meant to rotate up and help out the "2s". Trent also calls his 2-3 a "matchup" zone, b/c you're supposed to give credence to the particular opponents' outside shooters and hedge out on those that are dangerous. Problem is again, UK had 4 outside shooters. Frankly, any zone can be beaten with sound passing, good shooters and a good understanding of the zone. I think we're splitting hairs a little. With Calipari calling out his players this past week and them having lost to GA, I think UK would have dominated the Tigers in any zone, especially given how LSU was shooting.

But, in any case, sometimes I wonder about the defensive schemes. Daddy Dale was of course the inventor of the "Freak" defense and was known to devise interesting defenses to match up against a team. I think Trent largely would like stay in a man all the time, and just have that executed well... it's not unusual, it's what Duke, Indiana (during Knight days), UNC and others primarily do. The gimmicky defenses get used by undermanned teams, or simply for a mix-up. In this year and this team, I think Trent's going to have to get more experimental. At the same time, when he recruits a better caliber of recruit, I think they are looking for certain systems... teach me fundamental man, b/c that's what I'll be using in the NBA, and give me an offensive scheme that showcases my talent. Calipari of course does this, and that, along with the fact that it's Kentucky where everyone worships his teams, recruits the players. Trent and LSU right now I think are somewhere in between.

And, SabanFan, I guess that means LSU is still better than Atlanta and Carolina? I guess I don't mind being the Saints.... :grin:

3. Tigers Paw

Tigers Paw Founding Member

No. Actually the saints and Tampa have the same number of sb wins.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

That's what I said. The Saints don't have more Superbowl wins that Tampa Bay.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Anyone remember the 94 game when Kentucky came back from like a 30 point half time deficit? Damn that was crushing. One of the worst moments in LSU sports history in my opinion.

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Sounds like a good thread topic.

7. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Yes, in fact, I believe it was highlighted in LSU's game against UK. Crushing indeed, and frankly you could look back at that time game and that time and perhaps infer that that was the beginning of the end for Dale, and it launched Pitino in an upwards trajectory at UK.

When you look back at that UK squad it wasn't any slouches either. In fact it had some NBA players on it, and several of the players on that team are now coaches.