LSU vs Loyola-Marymount 1990

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Obi-Wan Tiger, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Obi-Wan Tiger

Obi-Wan Tiger Founding Member

I stumbled upon the replay of this game yesterday on CSTV. Even though I have it on tape, I probably watched more of it yesterday than I have since I saw the real thing 14 years ago. In my opinion, it's the third best college basketball game I've ever seen, right behind Duke-UK 92 and Houston-Louisville 83. The pace was amazing and Chris Jackson was truly tremendous. I know everyone pretty much agrees how great he was, but as time goes on, you don't remember everything the guy could do. I don't think I've seen a better college basketball player since. I loved the way Loyola played as well. If Gathers had not died tragically, they had the talent to win it all. Believe they got to the Final 8 without him. I still don't understand what happened with Jackson in the NBA. (National Anthem antics aside) He had some decent seasons, but he should been incredible. I wonder if his physical problems had anything to do with it. I seem to remember his medication causing him to gain a lot of weight. Don't know if that was a factor or not. Nevertheless, if you get a chance, check out one of the old tapes from 1988-1990 and watch it from start to finish. I was shaking my head the whole time.

2. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I just watched the 1989 game UNLV vs LSU when Ricky made the shot at the
    buzzer.
    I watch one every now and then.... :)

3. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

That Loyola game was a WHALE of a hoops game.

I watched it in a sports bar out here in Cali (wasn't on regular TV) and I remember getting people into the game that didn't even care...

...by the time the OT started they were goin' nuts along with me!!!!

...I just remember being drained at the end of that one..

...reminded me of an NBA all-star game - hardly ANY defense...

4. Obi-Wan Tiger

That was another great one. Truly a great era in LSU basketball. When was the last time we played that caliber opponent in the middle of SEC play? One thing about Dale...he never ducked anybody. Second Blanton game winner that season (after Georgetown in the Dome)

5. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

My lilttle brother & my uncle were at that game...

...I watched it live on TV here...

...I STILL can't believe A) we went for the win B) he made a VERY difficult shot!!!

...remember the Georgetown game in the Dome and Blanton won it at the end for us?

ANOTHER GREAT TIGER FINISH !!!

6. Da-veed

Da-veed Freshman

Beating #1 Ariz in 2000 was in the middle of the SEC season and was a great game. Loyola M was better and my favorite game while I was a student.

Just 2 weeks earlier watching the UNLV game with Augmon, Johnson and Anthony I didn't think I could see a better game at LSU. Loyola proved me wrong. My biggest memory was not feeling like I could look at the score board during the first 10 minutes because I would miss something. Dale's plan for beating the press was give the ball to Jackson and let him it. No voice left after that one, just one big headache and a satisfied grin.

7. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

Beat me to that punch. I was at the Georgetown game in the Dome. That was freakin' awesome.

8. Obi-Wan Tiger

I was there also...I think Georgetown was ranked #2 at the time. We were up 10 with 5 minutes to play and they tied it close to the end. I was very relieved that we won it in regulation, because I wasn't sure we could hold them off in OT.

9. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

Awesome games were the LSU victory in OT vs. Purdue, followed by beating Memphis State 2 days later at the sub regional played at the Assembly Center(As it was known then). I was at both games. The next weekend we beat Georgia Tech & Kentucky(#1 Seed) on our way to the final 4.

I agree that the Loyola Marymount game was awesome. What a collection of talent by both teams!

10. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

The Purdue, Memphis State, Georgia Tech, & Kentucky games on the way to the Final 4 games were in 1986.