LSU vs McNeese St game thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by northernvatiger, Sep 5, 2015.

1. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

It's all about the networks.

2. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Yes, since the internet is non existent in and around the stadium on game days they have an obligation to let the fans know a little something. Me and my son stuck around late. The band, cheerleaders and officials were in stands and on the field for a while. They announced absolutely nothing for at least an hour. The McNeese players that had been standing in the tunnel for quite some time turned around and went back in at 10:35 and I knew it was time to leave. Very disappointing night for fans and players. The Athletic dept needs a better game plan dealing with communication for sure.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

They need a better Plan B for sure. But moving game times at the last minute is guaranteed to cause a fan backlash. People pay a lot of money for those tickets and parking passes. The forecast wasn't that bad, typical for September.

Actually it was 50% chance of rain at sundown. That first storm cell was just slow moving and stalled right east of campus with a lot of lighting. The game could have resumed at 9:45 when it had moved off. The fair-weather fans had already left, but there was probably a half-stadium taking shelter under the grandstands. But lots of people with a cellphone could see the second storm cell, much bigger and moving in fast from Livingstone Parish. It was going to be there before the 30-minutes lightning delay would pass. That was when everybody cleared out to their cars before it hit. It surprised almost nobody that the game was called. The lightning never really stopped between storms and the last storm didn't move out until midnight. Not a lot of wind or torrential rain, but it was definitely a lightning storm.

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

given you two went to the game, do yall think they could have or should have gotten it in? or was this the right decision. apparently some of the players were crashed out in the locker room snoozing. so im guessing most were ok with it.

also i still dont understand exposing 100k fans for 8 hrs in the weather instead of 3-4 while the players hide with the coaches. pretty sure its a liability thing but im not sure its the safest play being exposed to the weather for twice as long. chalk it up to La weather i suppose.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Maybe McNeese and LSU had some players who legally have to be in by midnight or they will go back to jail. Or their bus drivers are really old and shouldn't be driving late.

6. red55

They might have had time for a quick warmup and about 10 minutes of play before the second system hit. They would have never made it to halftime. Once the second storm came in and emptied the stadium, it was pretty much all over. Even the fat cats in the enclosed club areas and skyboxes were not hanging around for a midnight start after a 6 hour delay.

I think they are going to have to come up with a new plan for bad weather. They need to demolish the old dorms under the stands to make room for people to take shelter. It would provide more restroom and better concessions, too. The people standing in a mob on the ramps are not happy campers.

The crowds have sat through torrential rain and lightning storms before and is willing to do it if the team is out there playing. But when the teams leaves the field, nobody is going to sit for 4 hours in that mess waiting for a decision. The fair weather fans go home immediately. The serious fans are left without a clue as to what is going on. I knew a bit because I had a radio in my earbuds and a phone that got signal. The radio kept people far better informed than the stadium announcer. He should have his butt kicked and the PA disk jockey should be fired.

They really should have showed the weather radar and kept the paying customers better informed.

TwistedTiger and Winston1 like this.
  7. LaSalleAve

The old dorms are history though.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

That's the biggest reach I've ever heard.

9. LaSalleAve

Maybe if I weren't kidding. Does every joke need to be followed by an emoticon these days or something?

tirk likes this.
  10. red55

They are useless eyesores and have been for decades. They are hardly even eyesores anymore since they are buried behind the upper deck pillars. They should be removed and let some much needed light and air to the ramps and provide more space. It is a safety issue now.

tirk likes this.