LSU vs. Mississippi State

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MikeDTiger, May 19, 2011.

1. Berge

Berge Founding Member

Hoping for a 3-seed is not a very good chance.

RPI will be around 30 tomorrow. And Ole Miss can win 1 game tomorrow to solidify last place in the SEC West for LSU.

10th in the SEC and last in the division does not deserve postseason play. I would say that if a different SEC team was in our position, so it should be true for LSU.

1 person likes this.
  2. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i was sick tonight and couldnt keep food down. the way the game ended its about to start it all over again.

needless to say, my mood has not been wonderful tonight.

now if you will excuse me, i am gonna take more drugs to try not to hurl.

3. MikeDTiger

MikeDTiger Geaux Tigers!!!

Fair enough. If Ole Miss gets swept, technically we are in 9th place. If Georgia can't end the season above .500, they are out of the NCAA. So as the 8th place SEC team, deserve or not LSU may still go.

This was a hard loss to take, time to take a break :/

4. Berge

Berge Founding Member

Of course I want this team to go, but I'm just trying to be objective.

5. MikeDTiger

MikeDTiger Geaux Tigers!!!

I know that. Nothing personal, I'm just bummed out...

6. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

64 teams get to go to the NCAAT, and LSU currently has the #51 overall win pct in baseball, and today's RPI updates have us at #25-#27. LSU is currently ranked #34 in the Coaches Poll (which is #5 in the SEC).

as for Ole Miss, they currently have the #103 overall win percentage in baseball, and today's RPI updates have them at #37-#38. they aren't ranked in any poll

on top of that, LSU beat Ole Miss head-to-head: LSU won their series against Ole Miss 2-1

so i'd think it would be kind of unfair to let Ole Miss go to the NCAAT over LSU just because Ole Miss currently has one more win in SEC play than we do

and like you said, it's not even set in stone that LSU finishes #10 in the SEC. we'll finish #9 to #10 depending how LSU and Ole Miss do today

in the end, it will depend on how many at-larges spots are available for the NCAAT, and how well LSU stacks up when you compare us to the other teams with good cases for those at-large spots

7. OkieTigerTK

there are something like 30 automatic bids to the ncaa baseball tourney. (my memory is fuzzy right now, it may be only 29, but something like 29-30)

that will leave approximately 34 spots for other teams. lsu will be a bubble team at best, imo. not making the sect is gonna hurt. and it should. to be below .500 in conference play is not gonna help either.

i know a lot of people think we can still get a regional bid, i am more skeptical.

8. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

yeah, LSU is definitely on the bubble. for example, the College Baseball Daily projections for the NCAAT coming into this weekend had LSU as the #65 team (the team that just missed the cut)
    2011 NCAA Baseball Regional Projections (May 18th)

it's weird knowing that today might be our last game. in the last 20 years, we've only missed the NCAAT what, two times?

9. OkieTigerTK

i may be in the minority, but i dont think we deserve a regional bid. if we get one, i will be thrilled. but the objective side of me says that today should be our last game of the season. i hate feeling that way.

the last few games before last night, we turned it around and were finally hot again. but not making the sect and being below .500 in conference play should take us out of it. ESPECIALLY if we lose today.

and today is a huge question mark. does this team have the mental state to play for a win in what could be their final game? or are they gonna roll over and quit. i really hope they have the former.

10. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Another thing working in our favor is the way we finished the season. It may be enough but may not but weighed in these decisions.

After being swept by Vandy we are currently 11-3 and could be 12-3 with a win today. With a win our RPI could be around #21.