LSU vs Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Nov 21, 2010.

1. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

I would love to play Oklahoma State, personally. Their offense is incredible, and Miles would get a rare shot to play his former employer.

Depends on if they can beat OU this week though. Let 'er rip, Cowboys!

2. FirstCoastTiger

FirstCoastTiger FirstCoastTiger

Here's another interesting fact about playing big boy football EVERY week.

I think both Boise and TCU return about 20-21 starters from last years teams. I haven't watched all of their games but from what I understand they get such a huge lead on their weaker opponents that they are actually able to pull most if their starters in the 2nd half.

Now contrast this with us playing last years National Champion and Heisman winning Bama team this year. We had 3 starters - THREE - go down and out of the game in the first half.

Can you honestly think that BSU and TCU can handle that kind of depth each week? Seriously?

Here's what LSU has had to do this year against 6 top 25 teams this year:

"Redshirt freshman right tackle Chris Faulk and junior receiver Chris Tolliver each drew their first career starts Saturday. LSU has now had 21 first-time starters during the season. Faulk was the ninth starter on the offensive line, the third at right tackle."

1 person likes this.
  3. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Which is the real point as to why TCU and BSU might not fare as well in one of the Big 6 conferences. I wouldn’t go so far as to say they wouldn’t be competitive, because they would, both are very good. You also have to take into consideration that their recruiting will change, to get more depth, if they were part of a big conference. In time they would more than likely be one of the upper portion of those conferences. My contention is that they just wouldn’t be who and what they are now. That is unless they went to the Big East or may the ACC, because in either of those conferences they may fare just as well as they do in the MWC and the WAC. Frankly, my personal opinion is if the SEC were to get the opportunity grabbing TCU would be a good thing. It would add another really good team to the conference, making it stronger and deeper than it already is, and it would give us (LSU) an even more solid recruiting avenue in Texas.

All that said, I still don’t think either of them belong in the MNC over a 1 loss SEC team or even a 1 loss Big 10 team this yr. Neither have played the types of schedules that the tops of these 2 conferences have played. To try and compare playing 2 top 25 teams to playing against 5 top 25 in conference and 2 top 25 OOC isn’t even close. Come the end of this season we will have played 7 teams that were either ranked at the time we played them or were ranked at some point in the season. Possible end of regular season ranked teams that we have played: WVU, AU, Bama, Miss St, Ark, the 2 not going to make it back UF and UNC. Name 5 teams that could go thru that schedule with the record we have, I know I couldn’t. As for the 4 undefeated teams ahead of us I can only name 1 and that is AU, who has shared much of the same schedule. Ore, BSU, and TCU would all have at least 1 loss if not more.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

hahaha, is it a coincidence that the only 2 quarterbacks we have had trouble with this season are the ones that have experience running?

from the police. :hihi:

1 person likes this.
  5. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

This !

What really pisses me off too, is how they drool over their stats, and rank them amongst big conference schools in the nation.

Of course they are going to have BIG numbers and great stats, the play La Tech week in and week out!

6. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

Boise & TCU have the edge in one category NO MATTER who they face in their bowl game this year. "Fresh Legs" That is one thing that is never taken into consideration, that these big conference schools prior to bowl week, have already left it all out on the field, have all lost some key players due to injuries and have had thier asses kicked around for 14 straight weeks of hard nose grid iron slug fest football.

But, it is what it is, and i dont think BSU or TCU or ANY school with weak schedules such as thiers, no matter WHO they beat ONE week out of the year, deserve a shot at the BCSNCG!

And TCU and BSU will say thats not fair, well tell me if this is fair???

If - Alabama, Arkansas, LSU, Ohio St., Wisconsin, Michigan St., Stanford, Oklahoma St. would have played TCU or BSU schedule this year, they ALL would be un-beaten as well and its not fair they should have to sit out as a one loss team!

THATS NOT FAIR!!!

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Yeah and some thought Colt Brennan would light up Georgia.

8. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

First assumption.. ..........Boise brought back a bunch of starters TCU did not, in fact TCU lost a 1st and 2nd round draft pick on defense. Second, TCU does not pull their starters until the 4th quarter if at all, like most teams in D-1 do. If you are going to rail on their sched then should you not also comment about EVERY member of the ACC and Big East? Have you checked the schedule strength that Ohio State, and Wisconsin and Mich St. have "racked up" this year??? To the guy that said that TCU will play better in a BCS game because of "fresh legs". Do you know how much time off there is between the end of the season and JANUARY????
    Hint.............fresh legs are back for every team unless they wear them out in practice.

As to handling depth every week. You forgot to count McNeese, Vandy, ULM, LaTech and a very close, almost blunder loss to Ole Miss again. Thats almost half the season...........that hardly amounts to EVERY WEEK.
    No one is debating that the SEC is a tough conf. I have said it many times, TCU will play anyone that will put them on the schedule. They were sched to play Texas Tech this year and TT ran for cover and Tenn Tech was added as any only choice. Aside what they are FORCED to play in MWC, if you had watched the Baylor game you would have seen a game
    that was over at half-time.........the game TCU played against them was every bit as good as the ones played by Oklahoma and Okie State. As for Oregon State...........who knows what they have, but they did just butcher USC and one of the Rodgers brothers that played TCU did not play against USC. TCU offense started killing the clock deep in OSU territory with 4 mins left because Patterson thought a 9 point win was enough against one of his best friends who is the OSU coach. Turns out that was a big mistake, but you won't see him ever play those kind of games.

Lastly, I have watched EVERY LSU game and EVERY TCU game, guess what, TCU has had just as many injuries and never missed a beat, the depth BS you keep hearing on ESPN is from a bunch of fools that should get paid on how accurate their game forecast skills are and not based on opinions that rarely add up. Patterson has proved time and again you don't need some recruiting services jaded BS about some guy that is 156th in the country (what kind of BS is that???) being able to turn the tide of a football program. He finds the players he needs, he PLAYS the best player..............too include walk-ons at a school that is now $32400 PER YEAR in tuition alone. He is getting better players, 35-3 does that. There is a good chance that TCU's sched this year includes 7 schools that will go to bowl games.

One more quiz for you, several years ago Cincy Lousiville and South Fla left CUSA to go to Big East. How have they done overall, against good teams having to play "killer" sched EVERY WEEK??? Would anyone on this forum crow about them in a BCS game???? How is that conf doing this year, how did it do last year.............and they get an auto bid????:geauxtige

Happy Thanksgiving

9. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

Based on the Sagarin ratings I am looking at I think it is VERY FAIR to assume that TCU would be unbeaten playing the schedules that Ohio State, Wisconsin and MSU have played for sure. Why did Alabama have such a hard time with Utah???? Another assumption I can and will make is that given a bowl game event, TCU and Boise can surely compete with ANY team you mentioned. Ask Pitt, Oklahoma, Alabama how they will prepare if they have to play either team this year.

10. FirstCoastTiger

FirstCoastTiger FirstCoastTiger

Geez TCUTiger - thanks for letting us know how you really feel! Wow.

OK - I concede the point about lumping TCU's starters with BSU's returning starters.

But look, we could go back and forth about these assumptions about all of this, so how about we just agree on this:

LSU vs TCU in the Sugar Bowl

The "Sweet Purple Bowl!"

We will just agree that we totally disagree about this and let's just hope that they have the opportunity to settle it on the field. And I mean settle it.

Cool?