LSU vs Ole Miss Prediction Thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Oct 20, 2014.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

22-20 LSU 133 Rushing 126 Passing

we'll call this our missouri special.

defense and special teams ghosts of past haunt the redheaded stepchildren again.

Bo wallace stumbles on the last play and falls down as rasco's inside pressure blows up the middle.

islstl likes this.
  2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

you stick your neck out about as far on your bets. but yeah, shane needs to come with an actual prediction.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Well Shane doesn't. Apparently, you don't either. Explain to us why "not losing" is bad? I'm all ears.

4. red55

He's an anonymous internet character who is never going to pay, Cochise. Tell you what, I'll bet him half the known universe. Got it right here somewhere . . .

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Here you are Doctor Google

[​IMG]
    Are You Playing to Win or Playing Not to Lose?
    March 19, 2013 | Brian Lebo

ShareTweet+1StumblePin

[​IMG]

You may think there is no difference between playing to win and playing not to lose. They sound similar, but think back to the last game you witnessed in which a team mounted a furious comeback to win. The winning team played more aggressively and took more risks to come from behind. Essentially, they played to win. The team that originally held the lead changed their focus and played cautiously, not to lose.

By the end of the game, the team playing to win caught up with and surpassed their opponents. What seemed unlikely earlier in the game became a reality: a come-from-behind victory. (See 4 Rules for Playing Your Best in Clutch Situations.)

There is a huge difference. You don't want to be on a team playing not to lose. So here are some tips for playing to win.

Maintain your competitive edge
    Players like Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant made careers by getting their opponents down and keeping them down. You can emulate them by playing with aggressiveness, confidence and energy from start to finish. That means practicing sport-specific skills, improving strength and conditioning, following proper nutrition and getting adequate rest. All are essential.

Take calculated risks
    You can't stop driving to the hoop or throwing the football if that's what your game plan calls for. Stick to your game plan, but be flexible. You can do this by becoming a student of the game and taking note of your opponent's trends and tendencies. Use this information to your advantage when the opportunity presents itself.

Defend when appropriate, but don't stop attacking
    Play smart, but always continue putting pressure on your opponent. Work hard on defense to deny your opponent's progress. On offense, resist the temptation to play it safe when you have a lead.

Don't make excuses
    You're going to miss shots, and you may not convert every third down play. However, be personally accountable, and don't get caught up in the "blame game." Learn from your mistakes and make necessary adjustments. Understand your strengths and weaknesses and work to improve your strengths and cure your weaknesses.

Take advantage of opportunities
    Don't stop exploiting opportunities in the interest of protecting your lead. Find the "holes" in your opponent's game and use them to your advantage. If it's there, go for it.

Play the game based on where you want to be, not where you are
    If you've scored 50 first-half points, try to score another 50 in the second half. Your goal should be to win every inning or period.

6. red55

Strike two. You still have not told me what Les would have to do to constitute "playing not to lose". You still have not explained why "not losing" is bad.

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I'm going to play mind reader. I think what is being said is that there is no "mad" in the hatter anymore. He does not take risks, he is uber conservative and that conservative manner equates to playing to not lose.

Example Alabama 2012. Pick up the first down with Mettenberger's arm instead of run run run with the lead, you end the game and that's playing to win. Punt the ball away and try to depend on your D who has been suspect late in games, playing to not lose.

shane0911 and ThePhenom74 like this.
  8. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

THAT is a big issue I have with Miles over the last few years. I think he has lost his Lesticles. I would much rather lose playing to win, than lose, playing not to lose. Conservative play calling often bites you in the ass.

9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

You sanctimonious ass, not losing isn't bad. However playing "not to lose" usually gets you beat. Need an example? Couple years ago vs the gumps in TS. Up late and AJ drives the gumps down the field for the win. We played not to lose. Lost.

You know exactly wtf it means. Don't worry though I will document them all in real time on Saturday

islstl and Bengal B like this.
  10. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

BINGO!!!!