LSU vs Southern in football

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUGraduate2002, Jun 19, 2006.

1. LSUGraduate2002

LSUGraduate2002 LSU's Golden Years

Looks like this stupid consideration is going to come up again according to the advocate. There is no reason LSU should ever play a 1-AA school in football. All this does is hurt the strength of schedule component in the computers. If Bertman signs off on this, he needs to go as that would be a step backwards for the LSU football program.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

LSU has had to play I-AA schools three or four times recently when there has been an unexpected schedule change and we must find a team that doesn't require a home-and-home deal. It's a situtation that will happen again. I wouldn't put Southern on our long-term projected schedules as a regular opponent. But as a last minute replacement to fill out a 8-home-game schedule, Southern would do as well as most I-AA schools for strength-of-schedule, especially if they are winning, which they usually do. It would be a guarranteed sellout, something that most out-of-conference opponents can't draw.

A game will probably happen some day. I say put them on "standby" and we'll put them in the schedule at some point when it's in LSU's interest to do so. :tigerhead

3. LSUfan71

LSUfan71 Founding Member

At somepoint in the future LSU will have to schedule another I-AA team, a one time event seems like a good idea to me. The "standby" idea is ok, there's no reason to ever schedule a I-AA team when any I-A team is available.

4. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

I agree with red. I would keep them for an unexpected scheduling conflict, but that's it. I don't want to see LSU agreeing and then making a big deal out of it (promotions, t-shirts, rivalry talk, etc...) I agree with helping the smaller in-state schools, but can't we just write them a check for a million bucks or something so that we won't HAVE to play them?

5. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

Not to mention, I'd have to dig out my kevlar and flack jacket for that game. I hate wearing that crap, so let's not schedule them. :hihi:

6. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

:hihi:

7. Broke

Broke Founding Member

But their band would beat us in the "STEP OFF"!

8. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Explain.

9. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

I mean, if we were playing say Carol City H.S. (from Miami) or say Mcdonough 35 his post might make sense.:grin:

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I don't know, some of those brothers can really barbeque. They make ribs, not war. :wink: