LSU vs Southern in football

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUGraduate2002, Jun 19, 2006.

1. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

2. LSUGraduate2002

LSUGraduate2002 LSU's Golden Years

3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

The only thing I see wrong with Rabalais' arguments is that I don't think LSU playing Southern would obligate them to play the other 1-AA's in the state. LSU/Southern would be an "in-city", rather than "in-state" matchup. No one else could offer that. Another argument SR didn't offer: Southern gets a huge (for a 1-AA) pay off every year from the Bayou Classic. SU may not be able to compete with the majors financially, but that game should more than put them on an equal footing with schools their own size.

4. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

However you slice it, this game does not help LSU's cause. I could see LSU being charitable to its cross-town brethren, but at what expense? This could definitely hurt LSU's shot in the BCS even though SOS is not supposed to be as important as in previous years. Votes are still important and let me tell ya, LSU and Southern sure looks good on paper. :dis:

Even if there is no difference (penalty-wise) in playing Southern as there would be in playing Appalachian State or Furman, at least those latter two are better than about 25% of the worst 1-AA schools. But I guess it would look the same to the media if LSU blasted Appalachian St 40-0 as it would if LSU beat SU 40-0. Hmmm... Moral of the story? Avoid 1-AA like the plague.