LSU vs. Texas Series

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Jetstorm, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

We don't play very often, and that's a shame. I think we should be playing Texas A&M and Texas every year, they would be great games.

Texas leads the all-time series 8-7-1. That is the record from College Football Data Warehouse. The Tigers won the first ever meeting of the two schools 14-0 in Baton Rouge on 11/16/1896. We also won the last meeting 13-0 in the 1963 Cotton Bowl. The Longhorns last victory over LSU was on 9/18/1954 in Austin, TX. They beat us 20-6. This is the second time the two schools will meet in a bowl, and again it's the Cotton Bowl.

In the sixteen games, Texas has outscored LSU 215-136, or by an average of 13.4 ppg to 8.5 ppg. We have shut them out five times, they have shut us out four times. Our biggest win over them was a 20-0 victory in Austin back on 10/01/1938. Their biggest win was 34-0 in Austin on 10/04/1941.

When Texas and LSU play, it's usually a very low scoring, defensive chess match. Of course, it's been 40 years since we last played. Offenses are much different. I won't say it'll be a barn burner, but it certainly won't be a 3-0 or 6-0 game like so many Texas/LSU games have been.

GEAUX TIGERS!! SAW 'EM OFF!!

2. NORTHTEXHORN

NORTHTEXHORN Founding Member

Good post Jetstorm! It was very interesting reading the stats of the series! I think this game will be tough and hard fought! I look for it to be fairly high scoring! Lots of good offense should be on display! We had a really good defense for most of the year but got lit up in the last two! We have a very talented ball-team with a lot of studs but just never has geled like it should. I think if it gets high scoring, that will be to UT's favor, and if its low scoring then LSU should benefit!

3. Oregonhorn

Oregonhorn Freshman

Yeah. You'd think the two teams would schedule each other at least once every decade or so!!
    I believe our last loss to you may have cost us a Nat'l Championship. I'm sure the current players haven't forgotten that fateful day. And are ready to reap the whirlwind of revenge!!!! Or not..........

4. SpaceCityHorn

SpaceCityHorn Freshman

Yep, my neighbor is a LSU fan and I told him that I am worried about this game. You guys are pretty damn good, so I won't talk too much smack. Give me a little time. Good luck Tigers, but not too much.

5. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

The Cotton Bowl has National title spoils for us too. LSU was poised for a chance at a 2nd National Title but Notre Dame decided to make itself bowl elidgable for the first time so the Cotton Bowl jumped on them and passed over LSU. LSU chose to stay home that year. I think this may have 1968 or so I think. I am a little too young to remember that far back.

6. McFarlandHorn

McFarlandHorn Freshman

LSU Texas series

Congratulations on your first win in 1896. We were in our fourth year, and we'd not yet had a losing season. We had two losses that year, to you and to Missouri.

After y'all beat us in 1896, our overall record was 19-3-1, losing to Missouri two different times, and to y'all once. Good job!

7. PoorAggies

PoorAggies Freshman

Re: LSU Texas series

I remember that game. I think Corso picked us to win.

8. NORTHTEXHORN

NORTHTEXHORN Founding Member

Yeah, I think McFarlandHorn might of quarterbacked that game! maybe he already graduated by then! Bwahaaaa! NTH
    [​IMG]

9. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

BTW, are you supposed to be NORTHTEXHORN or does NORHTTEXHORN mean something special?

10. SAHorn

SAHorn Freshman

"Saw 'em off" ???

Jetstorm - That is an aggie expression. If you meant to be like an aggie, I guess that's fine. But, in case you did not know, I am trying to be nice in suggesting that you could do better than that... and not be lumped in with the toy-soldier sheep molesters from Collie Station....