LSU vs UCLA Week #1

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Buzz69, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Buzz69

Buzz69 Freshman

In honor of @Bengal B let's keep the game discussion in this thread. LSU is currently a 3 point favorite over the Bruins.

LSUTiga, LSUpride123 and shane0911 like this.
  2. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

Can’t remember the last time we came into a season with this many question marks. Not counting last year.

New OC, New DC (new scheme), new o-line coach, new d-line coach, new LB coach. Also, basically a new QB.

National media is making it sound like LSU will be a 7-5 team, some saying 6-6. Local media is all over the place but consensus is that our defense will be back to LSU standards and we’re looking at a potential 10-2 or better season.

I can’t remember the last time I personally had this much anxiety going into week 1.

3. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

National writers never really think or analyze but take what happened last year and expect more of the same. Last we were picked 5 initially in spite of having lost what 20 of 22 starters, being forced to use two freshmen QBs and getting a new D coach. Frankly no one from O down handled it well
    This year they see only last year and not that we have essentially no new starters and much more unified staff and team. They ignore the fact that our offense was one of the most productive in spite of the issues and Pelinni was so blind deaf and dumb we couldn’t stop anyone we still ended well.
    I think we go at least 10-2 and get a bunch of revenge. This week reminds me of Oregon a few years ago. UCLA is being overhyped after beating one of the worst college FB teams I’ve seen. I think the defense stifles the Bruins and the O gets untracked in the 2nd half and walks away by 17.

4. Buzz69

Buzz69 Freshman

I like your optimism, but I don't think there's any way in Hell that we win by 17. I've got too much concern about our OL. I also don't know what to expect from Johnson.

5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I'm not too worried about either of those. We return almost all if not all of the OL from last year. I have to believe it was the scheme/OL Coach that was responsible for that. I mean is it possible we have an entire line of big molly's that can't freaking block? None of them? Naw I think they will be okay under some new direction. Max Johnson, if I remember right the kid looked pretty good last year and from what I've read he has an even better understanding of things and has gel'd with the team.

I'd say RB and WR are the areas to worry if there were going to be any. Just my .02

lsu-i-like and LSU_4_LIFE like this.
  6. LSU_4_LIFE

I also believe this team is hungry and will pay with something to prove. A 10-2 revenge tour baby!

The national media continually contradicts theirselves too. For example, in respect to last year, LSU went 5-5 and their narrative is LSU is in trouble, but UCLA went 3-4 last year and is a team to watch out for. Same with Ole Miss, 5-5 last year, lost to LSU, but they have Ole Miss as a surprise team and even beating LSU this year. They never make shit for sense.

I think the majority of the hate/doubt is solely directed at Coach O and they just do not want to believe he is capable of being a great coach. I understand to an extent. I too have had my doubts with him, but it’s very hard to argue with 15-0 national champions, coach of the year, his 45-14 record at LSU and his 13-4 record against top 10 teams. Show me a current resume outside of Saban and Dabo that compares. Even if 2019 was lightening in a bottle, he had big wins in 2017 (beating ranked Auburn and UF back to back after losing to Troy) and again in 2018 upsetting (destroying) highly ranked UGA ruining their playoff chances, again beating Auburn and winning a new years six bowl.

I think this UCLA game is huge for Orgeron. LSU is without question more talented, and it’s not even remotely close. If he loses that game, he is in serious trouble unless he bounces back and goes 6-2 or 7-1 in conference with a 10-2 or 9-3 finish. Losing back to back season openers will not sit well.

Not to mention, if the wheels come off again and he finished 7-5 its basically just 5-5 with 2 wins against sisters of the poor.

Part of me believes LSU rolls UCLA, but after last year, I’m full of doubt. I hope this team comes out angry and hungry and dominates the trenches, pounds the ball and beats a less talented UCLA into submission. I saw one betting site, numberfire that has UCLA with an 81% chance to win and also winning by 10

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    lsu-i-like likes this.
  7. LSU_4_LIFE

I too have concerns about our OLine, but UCLA didn’t grow an All American or even SEC caliber Defense over the offseason. They return a lot of starters, but starters off a 3-4 team. These kids won’t sniff the NFL while LSU has 2 dozen that will.

shane0911 likes this.
  8. Buzz69

Buzz69 Freshman

Because of COVID no one used that year of eligibility. So Shanahan & Deculus returned this year.

9. LSU_4_LIFE

3 sixth year seniors on the o-line right? Shanahan, Deculus and Ingram?

10. Buzz69

Buzz69 Freshman

Hines is a Senior.