LSU vs. USC basketball game thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by gumborue, Jan 12, 2005.

1. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

What? under 5,000 is horrible. ok, maybe it is up, but it is at most half of what it should be.

2. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

They most definately are SEC quality depth. Whipple is the weakest, but even he has won games for us. They aren't UK depth, but with a few years they will be good players (i'm really looking forward to neltner).

3. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

you are wrong. we could have shot a lower %age than them and still won. we had many more possessions because of low turnovers. low turnovers and getting to the foul line and hitting them are key. we should be much better at the foul line--our two best are big guys.

4. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

Stats can be very misleading if someone didn't see a game and just looked at a boxscore. If the other team is shooting 50%, before I say we have to shoot better, I would want to know: where were they scoring from (ex. 15/30 layups vs 15/30 20 footers), how many second+ shots did they get,
    look at the defense we were playing, etc.

The single most important stat out there is to chart possesions. Period.

After saying that, it really depends on what a team wants.

An up-tempo, fastbreak team, like North Carolina, wants to have the ball as much as possible whether through steals, defense rebound, turnover, etc. They play full ct m2m, and they try to get you to play their style and wear you down. They run a primary break, secondary break, and then free- lance. (I personally like this style)

Other teams, like a Michigan State, want to value each possesion and put a high value on shot selection. They don't press teams and they want a slower type of game. More of a half-ct type of team.