LSU vs Vandy Thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Berge, Mar 10, 2006.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

3 seed was likely locked up even before this win for winning the sec outright. win the trny a 2 seed is within reach.

2. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

I don't think so, if we had lost to Vandy....

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

i think so just based on history of winning a major conference especially going after going 14-2.

you'll see when we get the 2 seed lol. im not sure i want to play 3 games in this sect. you?

4. TGer'nLHornLand

I still think a bad loss to Vandy potentially would have dropped us, especially given a lot of the movement that's going to occur with a lot of the upsets and surges. Regardless, I do agree if we win the whole thing, we would probably move to #2, given we are the SEC champs, and undisputably the best team in the SEC.

Do I want to play 3 games in the SECT? I think we only have to play 2 more, my friend. Beat Florida/Arkansas, then beat UK/USC. As much as I hate to say it, I tend to believe that winning your conference tourney is a jinx for the the big dance. So, in a perfect world, I'd see the Tigers thump Florida for revenge, and then play a close, but lose the final, so that the Tigers are hungry for wins in the "real" tourney. That being said, if you told me that we could continue to rest Thomas, get 20+ minutes from Voogd, Lazare and Rolle, and we made it to the final to play Kentucky... I might change my mind. Whenever you're in a tournament final, playing Kentucky for SEC mens' basketball supremecy ... you have to want the win... :)

Of course, I believe the year we went to the final four in '86, we lost to Kentucky in the SEC tourney then ran the table on our way to the promised land... I'll take final four over SECT champs :hihi: !!

:geauxtige :bball: :champs: LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL! PACK THE PMAC!!

5. TGer'nLHornLand

you know the other interesting way to look at this issue?

Let's see where Tennessee ends up after today's loss to USC. Some might have said that Tennessee was a higher seed than LSU, higher RPI and higher in the polls. A solid 2/3 seed also. If they drop to a four (not sure that will happen, but Tennessee is not playing great right now), then I'd argue still... if you are a high seed in your conference, you want to at least win your first game.

:geauxtige :bball: :champs: LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. PACK THE PMAC!!

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

cant hurt having illinois, tennessee and oklahoma losing. pitt had a big win though. i think itll be duke, uconn, ohio st and memphis as 1s. nova, unc, tx and lsu as 2s (if lsu beats uf). tennessee, gonzaga, illinois and pitt as 3s. with an lsu win over uf, i think pitt is the only team that can jump lsu.

7. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

he played great and really looked great with the jumpers.

BUT, it wasnt like he was playing against a top-notch frontline. very incouraging though. that outside game is very important for him since he can have problems in the post against taller players.

8. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

what no analysis of the game tigerfans?

i know lsu was expected to beat vandy even without TT, but there were some very impressive things--BESIDES GLEN DAVIS.

GT--4-6 from 3.
    DL--played great, 6-9 FG and 3 steals.
    TM--8-12 FG, 3-3 3ptFG, 4 asst, 0 TO.
    DM--4 asst, 0 TO, 3 stl.

these are lines that we didnt see too often from these guys and certainly rarely or never in the same game.

AND- no TT.
    - DM did little on O.
    - BV and MR played a lot and well.

unfortunately, i think the D left much to be desired. not many players really played aggressive in your face D (mainly on the perimeter).

it will be very interesting to see how GD does against UF's frontcourt this time around. to have a chance need to keep their backcourt down like last time too. i think itll be a great game. closer than last time. LSU by 2.