LSU will NOT play ULL in the dome

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BayouBengal, May 8, 2003.

1. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

I got this from another message board:

From the Morning Advocate:
    LSU officials have flatly dismissed a report that the school is considering an offer from Louisiana-Lafayette to play in the Superdome in football.
    Dan Radakovich, LSU's senior associate athletic director, said LSU Athletic Director Skip Bertman and UL-Lafayette A.D. Nelson Schexnayder briefly discussed the idea long ago but it never got beyond talking stage.

According to Radakovich, UL-Lafayette was supposed to offer LSU a multi-million dollar guarantee and first rights to 50,000 tickets while UL-Lafayette would still retain the right to call the contest its home game. Such a presumably well-attended game would help ensure that UL-Lafayette could meet NCAA criteria starting in 2004 that will require schools to average 15,000 in actual attendance for five Division I-A home games to retain their I-A status.

As it currently stands, LSU and UL-Lafayette are scheduled to play again -- but in Tiger Stadium on Sept. 9, 2006.

2. JoeReckless

JoeReckless Founding Member

Tiger Stadium holds almost 20,000 more than the dome. Why would they even think about the dome?

3. tiger777

tiger777 Founding Member

so ull could call it a home game.

4. DeathValley

DeathValley Founding Member

I think the Tulane game in 2005 will be in the dome though. This would be cool. We should never play SLU, I mean ULL in the dome. Why should we help them stay in Divisoion 1A. They should have stayed in 1AA. All they want is to be the home team so they can say they will have a crowd of 60,000+. Then they will play all of the rest of their home games at home and draw less than 10,000 per. What a crock.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Just where would the school formerly known as USL get the money for the multimilliondollar guarantee?

6. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

Well 50,000 tickets @ $30 is 1.5 Million. I asumme LSU would be guarenteed to get the revenue from it's tickets.

7. STRIPES

STRIPES Founding Member

What A Stupid Idea....

Sounds like something a wannabe USL fan would dream up.
    Hell if LSU was guaranteed the revenue from 60,000 seats
    in the Dome, LSU would still lose money on this deal. What is it that some people don't understand? Tiger Stadium holds 92,000 fans and at 36.00 per ticket that comes to $3,312,000.00 in ticket sales alone per game. At the Superdome is LSU was "guaranteed" even 60,000 seats at 36.00 this comes to only $2,160,000.00. That's a difference of 1.2 MILLION DOLLARS and that doesn't include LSU's loss of concession sales which is in the hundreds of thousands of dollars per game.

Then you have to consider that this game would have to come out of one of only 3 or possibly 4 (in some seasons) Out-Of-Conference games that LSU can play each year. Therefore LSU would be trading a home game and MILLIONS of Dollars just to help USL stay in D1A for football? I love it when other schools attempt to come up with ways to utilize LSU's fan base for their school's benefit and "guarantee" LSU money from our own fans who are buying the tickets in the 1st place. Sounds like some of the crap Tulane has pulled over the years. USL needs to drop down to D1AA where they belong along with about 20 other
    D1A pretenders. GEAUX TIGERS!!!