LSU's 2003 TV Schedule (IMO)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Purple Jungle, May 22, 2003.

1. Purple Jungle

Purple Jungle Founding Member

I see that there has been some talk about different LSU games and how they will be televised. Here's my expert analysis of what games will be televised and what time slot they'll have...

GAME ONE: LSU vs. UL-Monroe
    7:00pm Cox Sports & possibly TigerVision

GAME TWO: LSU at Arizona
    9:00pm Fox Sports Net

Reasons: First off, Arizona is a school that plays night games pretty regularly. Second, Fox Sports usually televises either a Big XII or Pac-10 game late in the evening. I seriously see Fox Sports picking up this game. There's little competition for this timeslot. The main contenders would be a game between Oregon State and Fresno State along with a game between Cal and Colorado State.

GAME THREE: LSU vs. Western Illinois

GAME FOUR: LSU vs. Georgia
    7:15pm ESPN

Reasons: CBS has first pick from the SEC slate each week. They will choose the Florida/Tennessee game, leaving LSU/UGA for ESPN to pick up. There's competition for the timeslot from a Miami/Boston College game and an interesting Maryland/West Virginia match-up.

GAME FIVE: LSU at Mississippi State
    11:00am Jefferson Pilot

Reasons: This is a really bad week in the SEC. The game of the week will either be Alabama/Arkansas or Tennessee/South Carolina. Florida also plays Kentucky. Not exactly must see TV. This is a lesser week for college football overall and the LSU/Miss State game MIGHT get a look from ESPN2, depending on Mississippi State's record at the time.

GAME SIX: LSU vs. Florida
    7:00pm ESPN

Reasons: Tennessee/UGA facing off in Knoxville will be the CBS game of the week. ESPN would be braindead not to pick up a Saturday night face off in Death Valley between the Tigers and the Gators.

GAME SEVEN: LSU at South Carolina
    11:00am Jefferson Pilot

Reasons: If JP doesn't pick up this game, it won't be on television. South Carolina will probably be 3-3 coming into this game and the SEC slate will be filled with crappy games. Florida visits Arkansas. Alabama visits Ole Miss. Miss State visits Auburn and UGA visits Vanderbilt.

GAME EIGHT: LSU vs. Auburn
    7:00pm ESPN

Reasons: This could be a match-up between two top ten teams. The Vols and the Tide will also be playing this weekend. Would CBS skip Tennessee/Alabama to show a match-up between LSU and Auburn? I'm very reluctant to say that they will.

GAME NINE: LSU vs. Louisiana Tech

GAME TEN: LSU at Alabama
    8:00pm ESPN2

Reasons: CBS will likely choose to show the UGA/Auburn game. Considering the ongoing turmoil in Tuscaloosa, I wouldn't blame them.

GAME ELEVEN: LSU at Ole Miss
    8:00pm ESPN2

Reasons: Ole Miss could be 7-3 going into this game, but that isn't likley. I believe this game has already been on ESPN2 three straight years.

GAME TWELVE: LSU vs. Arkansas
    2:30pm CBS

Reasons: This game has finally been moved to the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Although there are marquee games such as UGA/GaTech and Florida/FSU, this is the only match-up between two SEC teams on that day. CBS will carry it even if it's not at 2:30.

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Very good, well reasoned post. I hope you are correct. Even the 2 breakfast games. Those A.M. JP games are a fact of life. I think there should be a rule, though, that a team only has to endure one per season.

3. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Are all of the games going to be on Cox Sports? I know they recently signed a deal to televise LSU sports but don't know if that includes football.

4. Hub

Hub Founding Member

Are you sure the Ark v LSU game is on Sat? I know for several years past they list it as being on Sat until CBS officially announces it for Fri over the summer just before the start of the season.

As for Cox televising all those games, I would be shocked if they did. No one would really care to go to those games in the first place and putting them on TV would make it even worse for LSU ticket sales. I could see Cox doing one of the SEC games that may not make one of the networks and maybe LA Tech. But ULM and W. Ill I don't think their is a chance.

What is the competition for TV the Arizona weekend? The PAC 10 does have an ABC contract and it could be put their. Depending on their being another marquee matchup.

5. South Carolina

South Carolina Freshman

The East is weak. We may be better that 3-3. Hopefully the improvement I saw in the Spring will earn wins in the Fall and make this a marquee match up for the SEC.

6. Purple Jungle

The Cox Sports deal includes retransmission of the games on Sundays. Cox Sports will not carry a live broadcast of any football games.

7. Purple Jungle

For the weekend of the Arizona game, here is how the PAC-10 schedule looks....

Arizona State will face Northern Arizona (no TV)
    UCLA will face Colorado (ABC broadcast)
    Cal will face Colorado State (possible competition)
    Oregon faces Nevada (zzzzzzzz)
    Oregon State is at Fresno State (more possible competition)
    Southern Cal plays BYU (another ABC regional broadcast)
    Stanford plays San Jose State (zzzzzzzz)
    Washington plays Indiana (MAYBE a daygame on ESPN)
    Washington State plays at Notre Dame (NBC national broadcast)

8. Hub

Hub Founding Member

Then what are you getting us all worked up about?:( :D ;)

Thanks for the Pac 20 listing. Outside of UCLA v Colorado game LSU v AZ is the best "name" game.

Big 12 has an ABC contract as well. What are their games that weekend?:dis: