LSU's biggest rival?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by sosueme26, Aug 22, 2006.

1. sosueme26

sosueme26 Freshman

I am a LSU newbie so these may be a couple of silly questions for all of you hardcore fans...1) who is LSU's biggest rival? 2) why?

2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

1. Many of the Oldtimers like myself believe it is Ole Miss traditionally but that it isn't a giant game anymore, just the team we'd hate to lose to the most.

1A. Auburn based on the way the West Division has gone the past several years, it's been the biggest game in the SEC probably the past 5 years. Add to that the weird games, events, acts and stories. And we not only don't want to lose to AU but usually need to beat them. For me it's the game I most wantr to win for many reasons.

3. Again for an oldtimer like me, beating Bama is sweet because they kicked our butt for soooooo long.

3. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

4. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

UT and UGA can't be considered our biggest rival cause we don't play either team every year.

In LSU's long history, we've only played each team a total of 25 times respectively. A rivalry can hardly be built from that.

5. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

It's widely believed that the Auburn-LSU game is becomming the biggest game in the SEC each year, but it has definitely not been the biggest for the past five years. You could make an argument that it's been the biggest in the West for the past five years, but not the entire SEC.

6. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

I would have to go with Auburn, based on us playing them every year and being the two powerhouse teams in the West.

7. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Well you did mention that we don't consider UT a big rival but probably should. My point was simply that they can't be a big rival if we only play them once in a blue moon (SECCG not included). Same goes for UGA.

Although, I wish we did play them on a regular basis.

8. Proud Tiger

Proud Tiger Founding Member

This has been discussed a lot here in the past. As an Aubie, it's kind of an odd situation when you step back and look at it. As you can see from a few responses, Auburn has kind of quietly become one of LSU's main rivals if not the main one. No question it has been and likely will be a critical game each year as to who wins the SEC West, and a few unfortunate incidents have frayed feelings somewhat.

So why do I say it's odd? Because LSU will never even come close to replacing bama as Auburn's main rival. I consider the LSU game to be a big one but I feel the same way about Georgia, Florida and Tennessee. Bama is a whole different story. The Auburn -bama rivalry is way more intense than Auburn-LSU. It borders on being out of control. It is an uncivil war. We just plain don't like each other. And to make a point, those words come from a guy whose oldest daughter is a bama grad. She gets no mercy.
    For LSU, winning the West and the SECCG is of prime importance. I'll give you that every year as long as we beat bama and be happy as a lark.

So, in my mind it's kind of hard thinking of someone as your main rival who doesn't think that way in return. Therein lies the dilema of Auburn being LSU's main rivel.

Just one Aubie's opinion.

9. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Great point PT. I don't expect LSU to overtake Bama as AU's main rival. If LSU and AU were in the same state, where the alumni had to look at each other everyday, that would be different story. You guys get to forget about us during the offseason, but those bammers are spread out across your state.

10. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

gotta be the rebels....its a shame we dont have too many more games like the one in 03 lately....that was a pure showdown.