LSU's biggest rival?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by sosueme26, Aug 22, 2006.

1. jerm831

jerm831 Freshman

This is my first official post, so greetings and salutations to all Tiger Fans on this forum.

Since I am a die hard Tiger Fan living in Hog Hell (i.e. Arkansas), maybe I can offer a different perspective. The LSU-Ark game might not mean as much to the Tigers, but it means an awful lot to Razorback nation. Typically, this game is the difference between a Razorback appearance in the Independence Bowl/Music City Bowl or the start of their basketball season.

Also, with the game played in Little Rock (the center of the state), fans from Southern Arkansas (who see the game as more of a rivalry) have greater access to the game (not as far to travel). Those S. Ark fans are twice as likely to be neighbors or coworkers with LSU fans, and hate to eat crow as much as anybody else.

The game means a lot to me b/c I am surrounded by Hog Fans. When LSU wins, Arkansas is a tolerable place for a guy like me.

That being said, I think LSU has the opportunity to stick it the Hogs this year. Unfortunately, the game is at War Memorial Stadium and weird crap that doesn't happen anywhere else seems to happen there (see "the Markham Street Miracle.") That is the only thing that makes me nervous.

When you get down to it, LSU is the school that everyone in the SEC loves to hate. Therefore, everyone in the SEC is our rival, whether or not we recognize it. The "biggest rival" just depends on who our next SEC opponent is.

:geauxtige

2. Crystal_lsu

Crystal_lsu Founding Member

Ok just for the record these are the teams that i hate.........

1. Auburn - no explanation needed..:po:
    2. Georgia :po:
    3. Bama:po:
    4. Tennessee:po:
    5. Florida:po:
    6. Ole Miss:po:
    7. Arkansas:po:
    8. Florida:po:

All righty glad i got that out of my system...:thumb: :geauxtige :eek:ldskule:

3. LSUalum24

LSUalum24 Founding Member

I didn't know this until recently but Arky got the "Razorbacks" nickname as a result of a LSU game. That ought to mean something for Arkansas fans.

"In 1909, the head football coach Hugo Bezdek gave a speech to a large group of students at the Fayetteville train station, after returning from a 16-0 victory over LSU on October 30, 1909. Coach Bezdek informed the crowd that his team had performed not like football players, but "like a wild band of Razorback hogs."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Arkansas#Sports

4. ChineseBandit

ChineseBandit Founding Member

Tulane was our most natural rival. It predates Ole Miss in importance. It just fell off the map.

5. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

I call it a rivalry. Hatred is a strong word to use. But I agree that the LSU-Auburn has supplanted the LSU-Ole Miss game as the major rivalry for both teams.

6. edyel

edyel edyel

I used to hate Florida the most of ALL our SEC opponents,now it is Auburn!:geauxtige

7. LSU0596

LSU0596 Respect

I have to disagree with this part of your statement. In the 30's, late 50's to mid 70's, the mid 80's and again the last 5 years, LSU has been on the big time radar screen. Hell, we were always big from late 50's to mid 70's. Its just alot of the younger tigah fans grew up with LSU suckin the botton of the barrel from 89 to 2000 with the exeption of 96 @ 97. That said, the rivalry prob is that we have no boarder or state rival who has been able to play with us on the national level consitently. The rest of the rivalry's are mainly in state or boarder state's, with the exeption of a few such as ND vs USC, OSU vs Mich, UT vs OU ect.... Once again the boarder teams mentioned have both been good consitently. That all said, I dont mind and really don't feel the need for a "rival". It actually kind of works to our favor in recruiting.
    Another poster said Tex A&M; well actually we pretty much owned them for 30 years until 90-95, so I would call that a rivalry either.
    As far as I am concerned, my rivalry for LSU is a constantly moving target--whoever we play saturday that is any good. I am perfectly content with that. Rivalry's are overblown.
    Living up here in PIG country now, I hear the conversation come up alot as with PIG fans asking, wanting to know "Who is our rivalry since loosing Texass". Well I tell them, Texass wasnt your rivalry, hell they beat you damn near every year!
    Now to HATE certain teams is what I feel. I hate bammer, Tulame, Ole Myth and Florida. Why? Because bammer owned us at one time, Tulame is a winer, Ole Myth, well they are just a bunch of arrogant souther aristocrats wannabe's and as for Florida, they just flat beat the HELL out of us for 5 or 6 years when Spurrier wanted to remind us that we should have hired him in 87.
    GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. SpringTiger

SpringTiger Founding Member

Yep! Can you believe it? LSU lost to La Tech 6-0 in 1904. But we beat them 17-0 one week earlier, so we split the season series! And, no, I was not at either game!

9. SpringTiger

SpringTiger Founding Member

I would agree with that, other than the 70s. We had some tough games against the Aggies during that time. Remember the A&M game in '75? Brutal! And, who DIDN'T beat us during the Curley years? :angryfire

10. Proud Tiger

Proud Tiger Founding Member

Dang I wish ya'll would decide who your rival is. These 5 page theads on the topic is killing me. (jk).:hihi: