LSU's New Special Teams Coach

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUDad, Mar 9, 2011.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Talk about destiny? Everyone said the Saints had it last year, but to be one fluke play away from not even making the playoffs to winning the SB. Crazy..

2. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

you quoted me

3. TigerCliff

TigerCliff Veteran Member

it's all good

I like the hire because it's what my Coach wanted !

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Uh, yeah. I quoted your hysterical rant in response to my post to BHelm.

5. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

"hysterical rant" , really? You seem to drift farther out into space with each passing day. Might be time for your family to start looking for a good assisted living facility that doesn't charge too much for diapers.:hihi:

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Hysterical rant below:

7. jdkees

jdkees Veteran Member

I feel like one of the secrets to Miles' success has been his emphasis on special teams. As I understand it, LSU spends more time on special teams in practice than most teams. It gives us an edge. It wins us games. Players on a Miles-coached LSU team compete for the honor of participating on special teams.

So yeah, this new hire has ties to Houston (which apparently has more high schools within its city limits than the entire state of Louisiana). He will help us on the recruiting front. No question. However, that element alone would not be enough to make the hire. I believe his hire was a very careful one. That said, Miles is far from infallible when it comes to hiring. Remember the disaster of our "co-defensive coordinators" in 2008?

p.s. who returns punts/ kickoffs this year? I kinda hope it's Russell Shepard.

8. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I wouldn't mind seeing him return kicks. Punts are a different thing altogether. If he can prove to Miles that he can field them consistently under duress, then he could be a good returner. Based solely on last year, I think he drops the ball too much to be a PR.

9. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

Your such a Miles hater. :wink:

Sure, people can get a little crazy with criticism of Les Miles (including myself). However, having legit concerns with a hire doesn't mean it's an attack on Les Miles. LaSalle is far from a Miles hater. I don't know enough about the Giants' special teams to have an opinion, but if their special teams were bad, then it's a valid concern. He was only an assistant so he may not have been the problem. If the Giants STs concerns people, fine. If your faith in Les is enough. fine. No reason to fight here or mention the "A" word.

10. jdkees

jdkees Veteran Member

Agreed. It was frustrating to watch Shepard drop the ball last year. He should be able to field the kickoffs though, one would think. I think he would be exciting to watch in open field like that.

Who takes the punts? Tyrann Mathieu? He essentially became my favorite Tiger last year. From the moment he caused that fumble late in the 4th quarter against UNC in the 1st game. He's a guy who always seems to find the ball.