LSU's "Obligation"

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by mcmikel, Apr 29, 2005.

1. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

If ULM dropped to D-1AA, an entire can of worms would open up. ULL's name change is tied into ULM's venture into D-1 football. ULM drops back, they will revert back to NELa, then OoLaLa would be forced to find another school to partner with to keep the UL designation.

I'd be in favor of truth in school titles. McNeese, which is SW Louisiana would become USL and Crawfish Tech in Lafayette Parish could become South Central. Can you see the headlines? South Central LA...

2. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

Dead on accurate.

The Pnd Scum's going to have a problem with this year's Super Regional, the Z's are at home over that weekend. The NCAA money grubbers will not lose out and place LSU in the same pairings as the Scum.

3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I think Tulame will send in their Super Regional bid based on playing at Urchin :) instead of at Zephyr so that they will have a big homefield advantage. They will use the Zeph as their regional tourney site bid because it is based on a minimum bid. I may be wrong, but that's what I would do if I were them.

4. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Actually, ULM convinced the board of regents to make ULL accept that second L... Without ULM, ULL would just be U of L (UL is copyrighted by Louisville).

5. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

Dillusional and dead wrong.

Your alma mater could not become the University of Louisiana without a second school also changing its name, by state law. Back in 1982-84 when Lil' Ray was first trying to change the name, Tulane pointed out that the legislature had annointed them "The Univeristy of Louisiana" legally. When Paul Tulane dumped a few bucks, their tradition of doing anything for cash began; the full name uptown is The Paul Tulane University of Louisiana.

When LSU began the flagship agenda, LSU relented about a university of Louisiana and pushed that at least TWO state schools had to change the name and pick up the city moniker as well. Well...

Lil' Ray in the Red Coat saw his break. He polled the folks at Ruston, but they were not changing names. Nicholls wanted a series of home football games (geeze, it does suck when the shoe is on the other foot), but USL wanted no part of that, especially when they want be seen as LSU's equal. McNeese declined as well. Po' Lil' Ray, his dream was dead... until... the Prez at Northeast Louisiana, facing major accreditation problems offered a solution: sponsor the Indians into the Sun Belt for football and, upon, acceptance, they would be come ULM and Lil' Ray would be come Roi a ULL!!!

I'm 99.9% sure the University of Louisville would have no objection to a University of LAFAYETTE.

6. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

My bad.. it was LSU and the board...
    USL changed to UL in 1984 and LSU and the Board of Regents took it to court and made them change back, saying only the state legislature could change a state university name.

http://www.college-football--tickets.net/lafayette/history.htm
    "In 1995, the Louisiana State Legislature to agree to allow the change. However, Act 45 required a compromise that has become known as the “LSU Rule.” The LSU Rule required that at least two state universities change their name at the same time. It required that all universities who change their name change it to “University of Louisiana at [city designation].”

7. gzilla

gzilla Founding Member

Don't confuse New Orleans with Tulane. New Orleans has more LSU fans than Baton Rouge does (think about that for a minute).

I'd love to have a game in New Orleans against Tulane every other year. We can split the gate 60 / 40 in favor of LSU (or whatever makes sense). Tulane would make more money on that game than they normally do, but we'd make out all right also.

In the off year, I don't think we need a game against Tulane in Tiger Stadium.

8. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

The pond Scum fan base is State Street west to Carrollton Avenue, bounded on the north by N. Claiborne and to the south by Magazine Street. I would venture that Southern has more fans in New Orleans than the Scum and with the south shore metro probably third behind LSU and SU.

However, if an LSU fan in the city will not drive the 70 miles to Tiger Stadium, tough. Tiger Stadium holds almost 25% more fans than the Dome. Besides, its not polite to yell indoors...

9. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

I'm surprised that I haven't heard anyone mention the real reason we shouldn't agree to this. LSU playing on the road is a valuable resource for schedule building and should not be squandered on the weak Louisiana teams. The only reason for LSU to EVER play on the road is to lock up home-and-home with the top teams in Div I-A. The only 3 OOC games we've played on the road in the last 6 years or so have been against Arizona (at the time they seemed more of a power), Arizona State, and Virginia Tech. The only way to draw top teams to Tiger Stadium is to play them at their house as well.

This addition of the 12 game gives us the potential to do this every year instead of having to wait 4 years or so for the extra game to come around. I think LSU should make it a policy to schedule at least one BCS conference team on the road each year to build up home-and-home stock.

I have nothing against playing Tulane, ULL, ULM, La Tech on a rotating basis in Tiger Stadium, especially over the likes of The Citadel, Western Illinois, and Appalachin State. However, under no circumstances should LSU play those teams on the road. That's just SOS suicide

10. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

You must work for the athletic department.

LSU isn't hitting the road unless it is very advantageous, like VPI, Arizona, or Arizona State.

LSU will definite play the mystery team in 2006 in Baton Rouge. The trip to tempe is more than enough. The more I talk with my Pond Scum pal, the more I think it is, in fact, a home and home with them. Yeah, it's two wins, but...YEECH!