LSU's QB issues...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by USNavyTiger, Jun 12, 2005.

1. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

and Ron Mexi... I mean Michael Vick.

2. CParso

CParso Founding Member

This is the main factor, IMO. If Perrilloux is as good as he thinks he is, JR could worry that he would lose the starting role & decrease his draft stock by coming back another year.

There's no doubt in my mind that he will have a great year, but one great year with a recognized loaded team & as a redshirt sophmore isn't enough to go very high in the draft.

3. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

I think if JR has a pretty good year, not even great, but pretty good, he will enter the draft.. He will see the writing on the wall with Perrilloux... JR is a prototypical NFL qb.. even if he leaves without really proving anything, he will be taken fairly early as a project guy... maybe the Titans? i bet norm chow could do somethign with him...

I expect JR to have a pretty good season this year... I think Perrilloux will not redshirt.. I think he is gone in 3 anyway, so he will want the playing time. They will probably put him in for gimicky plays and maybe some speed options out of the spread and qb draws.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Well, Parade All-Americans will sometimes take a redshirt year, as Russell did when Mauck owned the position. But there is no owner of the position this year and Perrilloux will not likely redshirt. He's going to fight for the start, and if he doesn't start, he will fight for playing time. Neither of these athletes are going to go pro before their junior years, but both will go at that time if they have made a record for themselves. Neither of these HS All-Americans is going to be content to be a backup quarterback, either.

The way its going to play out is that one of the two Parade All-Americans is going to earn the unquestioned starting job this year and the other is going to transfer out in January and find a school where he can start.

Flynn may be content to backup the starter, play in most games, be ready to play if the starter goes down, and expect to start his senior year when RP and JR are gone. On the other hand Flynn could start in Division I also and may try to maximize his NFL potential by transferring out in the spring as well.

Bottom line: We are loaded at QB this year, but we likely won't be next year and Les Miles had better sign two good quarterbacks this year or we may be very thin in 2006.

5. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I'd be willing to put a months pay up against that prediction.

6. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

I have to respectfully disagree, Red, at least as far as the transfer is concerned. I believe if Les Miles is true to his word and the QB competition is legit and transparent, whomever gets tabbed as #2 will accept it.

Besides, whomever is #2 both this year and next will see a good chunk of playing time in part b/c Perrilloux and Russell are two different types of QBs. I wouldn't be surprised at all this year if, because Ryan looks so sharp in fall practice and in early "easy" games (N Tx, open week practice, Miss. St.), Les puts together a package of plays just for RP. Things that take advantage of his mobility, have a limited number of read/options, that sort of thing. Get him into the game maybe a couple of series a game if the offense is stalling a bit.

This wouldn't be to punish Jamarcus, just to shake things up if/when a well-prepared defense is slowing LSU down b/c they've prepped for Russell's tendencies so well.

Common sense tells me that if a defense is slowing the running game and play-action isn't effective for a few offensive series, putting Perrilloux in unexpectedly to run some option, run some bootlegs where he has two reads then either runs or throws it away...that would mess with an overpursuing defense something fierce since they won't be expecting it.

Kind of a pseudo-version of what Georgia did with Shockley and Greene the past couple of years, I guess.

I don't know if this sort of thing would actually happen, but Les has to make the competition legit and always take the attitude that the best players play in order to get and keep getting outstanding recruits. Saban took that attitude, which is one reason why Justin Vincent started 2003 buried on the depth chart and found himself winning MVP awards by season's end...then found himself buried again in 2004.

True competitors know you have to earn your keep, is all I'm saying. Besides, being "the man" at QB even for 2 seasons at a top 10 program like LSU is better than transferring elsewhere.

Ask Robert Lane how that playing time gig is working out for him and increasing his profile for NFL scouts these days.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I'd settle for two pints of Bass Ale at your favorite pub. So which one of these two massive egos do think will be content to be a backup quarterback?

The one that boasts that he could win the Heisman his freshman year?

Or the one that has "The Chosen One" tattooed on his arm.

8. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Well, well...since we're talking hot and heavy about who may transfer, here's something to stir the pot a bit more.

From Dandy Don this evening:

Hmm...what on earth to make of this one?

9. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

If Russell wins the starting job and holds it all fall, no way RP transers, Won't happen. If Rp wins the job, than i could conceivably see Russell moving on but he would end up only having one year to play since he has lost his redshirt.

All I make out of it is that Miles realizes we should try and get a good QB in every class, maybe even 2 in this upcoming class since we didn't get any in the 2004 group.

10. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

The better question I have is when the LSU fans will turn on JR.

Not turn as in bash the kid but turn as in "Give me Flynn or RP!!!" talk.

Russell will make mistakes next year and if a loss does come, imo, lots of 'Lets replace him" talk will ignite which will drive me insane.

Russell is a insanely talented QB who is still just a sophmore.