LSU's QB issues...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by USNavyTiger, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Thundercat99

Thundercat99 Founding Member

Baring injuries to himselff and the O-Line, there is simply no way JR does not have a very huge year. Ninety percent of us geniuses here agree he has mega skills. There are simply too many offensive weapons for him to choose from. Hell with this amount of offensive talent, Shyrone Carey could play QB and do a decent job for the team. If I'm JR you bet your sweet a$$ I'm busting my a$$ to get ready for it, because if what I read here is semi-accurate RP is busting his to come in and take it away from me. If I'm JR I'll be dammed before if I let him. And if RP Beats me out then I have no one else to blame but me, and transfering out WILL NOT SOLVE THAT FACT if and that's the biggest if i'm honest with myself about it.

2. u r tigerbait22

u r tigerbait22 Founding Member

took the words out of my mouth...

3. Blade Brown

Blade Brown Founding Member

Great point and I totally agree. It's easy to forget how much JR's still got to prove! If he can stay healthy, he'll play lights out.

I think the best thing Miles can do is put in RP when the defense least expects it and design plays to his strengths (like TejasTiger pointed out). It didn't seem to work great at Georgia, but I honestly don't believe Shockey is nearly as athletic or as dynamically able to change the outcome of a game as RP.

As far as the verbal by Cate, he looks to be a "Mauck"-type QB (smart, good decision making, leadership) that could actually be better for the team as a whole. :thumb:

4. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

I hope you're right and our "problem" proves to be THAT easy. the biggest problem, by far, is the over-inflated egos of our QBs. Although, obviously, this can play to our advantage since both guys will have to bust their asses. Both RP and JR have enough talent to start--and be successful. The problem is that no matter HOW good RP does this summer/fall he's still a true freshman and is liable to make plenty mistakes. So, would you be willing to take what should be a pretty solid JR, or would you take RP who could set the world on fire one game and be mediocre the next? Honestly, I don't *like* either scenario. What I DO like is having a guy like Mauck who may not set the world on fire, but will be solid and consistant. This guy COULD be Flynn. We have the potential to have a DEADLY offense with either RP or JR, BUT they're both prone to having a bad game which could cost us a NC (even though we would be avg 600 yards of offense and avg 50 points a game, hypothetical of course,) see what I'm saying? This can all be moot since we should have a solid running game that COULD carry us if need be, and the fact that Flynn is basically unproven and could be prone to the same problems that the other two are... this is interesting indeed...

5. Thundercat99

Thundercat99 Founding Member

Just my two cents, It's that old cliche
    Ya gotta believe, stay positive, be realistic about their chances, and to steal that line from the movie, Don't think they are good , know they are good.

I honestly believe JR Excels as a redshirt Soph just as that guy out west did two years ago. Because of the talent around him not only because of his skills. Frightening matchup problems all over the field on offense. If they(the offense) stay healthy how do you defense all the playmakers? DC's around the league are probably having sleepless nights thinking about it now!! If JR Executes like we all know he can, he starts all year, Flynn backs him up and RP Plays only if he can convince CLM that he'd rather play in mop up time for game experience, than take a redshirt. I can honestly see JR having a monster year like White did as a junior, and having a better upside than he did, going pro opening the door for Flynn, RP, Cate and maybe one or two others to battle it out for 06

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

i'd go 15% max. No question he would turn pro after a great year? its actually highly unlikely.

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Note to FightinTIGER: It is bad form to dish out negative rep points for a shot at you. We KNOW you won't like it. The proper thing to do is to let others decide if the post warrants a red mark. Now, I'm back under 2800 points. Oh, the humanity...

8. philter

philter Founding Member

If RP plays more than MF this year, I'd be surprised if Flynn didn't transfer at the end of the season. RP playing more than Flynn would mean he would more than likely start as soon as JR is gone, leaving Flynn on the bench his entire career. If I were Flynn, and this scenario played out, I'd transfer for the chance to at least start one year at a mid major. He may turn out to be a total team player, a real trooper, and stay...but I wouldn't begrudge him in the least if he transferred under that scenario.

9. Golden Tiger

Golden Tiger Founding Member

I don't know why people think a freshman (RP) is going to come in and just take over at (QB) when (2) highschool all-americans have (3) years of learning the system ahead of him.
    I did not see much of the guy play but when I did I wasn't like WOW, this is the greatest (QB) I have ever seen step on the football field. The kid has talent and plenty of it, I just think the big (S) that people are putting on this
    kids chest is unfair and a little premature.

10. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

P-rade AA,pshaw! Two words: Josh Booty

Jamarcus Russell, the dude who blew up big time in the Capitol One Bowl, is going to silence all the talk. He is going to show why FSU and LSU were dying to get him. I can not wait to see him slice up that Arizona State secondary.