LSU's QB issues...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by USNavyTiger, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Now, I enjoy visiting the LSU forum. LSU is my favorite SEC team... my goal is to talk football openly and not ruffle too many feathers, BUT....

In reading up for the CapOne game, all the talk was how well Randle performed in the Arkansas game, how he had found his rhythm, life was finally good, etc.
    Russell came in and had a great 12 minutes in the CapOne, 10 for 12, I think, two touchdowns, but he was throwing against a team that was up 24-12, a team that went into a soft zone to keep everything in front of them, a team that pulled their linebackers out to protect the middle.... pretty much a prevent defense (God, how I hate prevent defenses).
    Russell's great effort should be weighted accordingly.
    My guess is, with Miles coming in, the QB job is wide-open, as it should be... but I seriously doubt if Miles will watch CapOne film to determine his starter.

Be thankful Miles' has three great QB's to pick from... then trust him to pick the right one. :thumb:

2. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

Using that logic, the Hawkeye win can be discounted because Saban had gutted the program a week before hand with his job announcement. That wasn't LSU's "A" game.

Russell hit a couple of deep passes over the Iowa secondary on the go ahead drive. Iowa did put pressure on him and he stood in the pocket. His showing in the 4th quarter was the best effort by an LSU QB all season.

Randall looked great against Arkansas because the running game had the Hogs attention.

3. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

"Russell hit a couple of deep passes over the Iowa secondary on the go ahead drive".
    I must have missed that... there were some over the linebackers, but none over the secondary. Anyway... I stand by the fact that the nature of the game dictated a defense that opened up the short to medium routes, that's all.
    Both teams played with great spirit and intensity... there is little reason on either side to "discount", as you say, the game.

4. DRC

DRC TigerNator

I have to agree with Hawker here. J-Rock was fabulous for one quarter in the last game of the year. Before that I think we can all say he was a HUGE question mark with tremendous potential but still a question mark. One quarter during the last game of the year does not change that IMHO.

Im optimistic but cautiously so.

5. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Your comments are duly noted, Hawker, but most LSU fans believe JR's problems last year had to do with decision-making, pure and simple. We've waited all year for the light to go off for JR and Cap One suggests it has. Even your comments suggest that he was smart enough to take what the defense gave him instead of forcing the ball or taking unecessary risks.

He wasn't as up to speed with the offense as he will be this year (assuming natural progression due to being another year in), and his indecisiveness sometimes translated into below-average results.

Matt Mauck was likewise maddeningly inconsistent---he ran the ball too damn much, which got him knocked out for the season against Florida in 2002---but a good offseason got his head on straight and 13 wins in 14 games was the result.

Russell has the physical skills. If he gets the offense to click, well...

6. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Get the straight jacket ready, then. Hell, we had people cheering for JR to get in the game during the first freaking game last year! The unquestioned reign of Marcus Randall lasted all of two quarters last year.

If Russell struggles, the call for Perrilloux will be deafening.

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

That is so right on the mark, it's scary. :thumb:

8. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

Agree. His ability to thrive under pressure in the Capital One game and even the OSU game showed us all that he could very well be the leader we need.

9. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

As long as Les makes a definate decision on who the quarterback will be and doesnt keep working them in and out this team will be great. This depth at qb is a double edged sword. On one had he knows that if JR struggles, he's got RP and Flynn waiting. The bad thing about that is that knowing you have that will make you want to make that move. Personally, I believe you let your main guy take his hiccups and stick with him. That is of course unless hes just messin up bad. No need to take someone out after leading a TD drive down the field to start the game:confused: . LSU is so deep at every position that they should come into the season as favorites to win the SEC and make a bid for the Rose Bowl. They dont lose to much after this year unless a lot of the jr's have dynamite years and decide to leave. Losing Joe Addai and Carey at the back position will hurt. But, you hope that you'll be able to sway Broussard and Vincent into staying for another year. If not that will be a back breaker losing every part of the 4 headed backfield monster in one draft. The odds of that arent great, but it could happen. There are some young backs, but you'll probly never have 4 backs like this ever again. It's unreal. The young receiver corps is going to keep people in BR excited for atleast 2 more years. Your losing Skyler Green and Brazell, but you should return Bowe unless he has an unreal year and Xavier and Doucet will be here as well. This team will be a competitor in the SEC for the next few years to come.

I think it is safe to say that this may be the most anticipated season in LSU's recent history. That being the last 30 years or so. Last year was highly anticipated but this year with a new coach, new philosophy, the prospect of an offense that could drop 40+ regularly, and talks of Roses from many media people nation wide, this is going to be a good year. Thoughts ?

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Let it go, Scrap...let it go.