LSU's triple threat player

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tirk, Aug 31, 2004.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

http://www.thetowntalk.com/html/2E29ADAB-065D-48B5-80E5-7A391ABEA98C.shtml

Triple threat
    LSU cornerback can also grab passes and return kicks
    Glenn Guilbeau / Louisiana Gannett News
    Posted on August 31, 2004

BATON ROUGE - Corey Webster just got another job.

Webster, a senior first team All-American cornerback for the Tigers and a sure first round draft choice, has been cross training at receiver since the spring. Then last week, he started sharpening his skills at returning kickoffs and punts.

Both of LSU's top kick returners may not be available for Saturday's 5 p.m., ESPN season opener against Oregon State in Tiger Stadium. Skyler Green, who led the nation in punt returns last season with an 18.5-yard average on 25 returns, is hobbled by an injured left ankle that caused him to sit out of most of Monday's practice.

Shyrone Carey, who returned 18 punts for a 10.8-yard average last season, is suspended for LSU's first three games because he broke NCAA rules by selling his Sugar Bowl tickets last season.

That leaves Webster, who last returned a punt when he was at St. James High School in 1999.

"I think I only had one touchdown on a return in high school," Webster said Monday. "I ran a punt back. I really didn't do it that much. I haven't practiced it that much here either. But if Skyler can't, I'll punt return. I'll be ready."

Like just about everything in athletics for Webster, it will likely come easy. He managed to make 14 interceptions in the last two seasons, and those were while he was covering someone else who wanted the same ball. He also caught seven passes as a receiver in 2001.

"He's very good at judging the ball," Saban said.

"He's one of the fastest players on the team," said fellow cornerback Travis Daniels. "Everyone knows he can catch, so he's going to be a great punt and kickoff returner."

Webster returned an interception 45 yards for a touchdown against Florida in 2002.

"Webster might be the best athlete on a team full of athletes," says collegefootballnews.com

This is why Saban moved Webster back to receiver over the spring. LSU has a lot of talent at that position, but most if it is inexperienced. Three Parade All-American receivers - Early Doucet, Xavier Carter and Lavell Hawkins - joined the receiving corp in August, but Webster has continued to moonlight with the offense.

"He's batting 1,000," LSU offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher said. "Every day, he comes over and gets about two or three plays. We throw him two or three balls, and he makes two or three big plays. I mean, I can't remember us throwing one incompletion to him. It's been phenomenal - his retention of the offense and knowing what to do."

Webster hopes the double duty, which is now triple duty, ends up being time well spent.

"I hope I get a chance to play offense Saturday," he said. "I've practiced for it all spring and summer. I'd hate to waste all that. I'd really like to play some offense and return some kicks. It'd be neat."

Webster would be the second LSU player in four seasons to receive, return and defend in the same game. Not even Michael Clayton did that. Clayton played receiver, safety and on kick coverage early in 2003, but he did not return kicks. Tailback Domanick Davis regularly returned kicks and played some defensive back early in the 2001 season.

Cornerback Travis Daniels, tailback/receiver Joseph Addai and Doucet have also been working at returning kicks in recent days.

"We're hopeful that Skyler will be there, but if not, we feel like we have a lot of skill guys who can return the football," Saban said. "Corey is the third punt returner."

Webster, who played quarterback at St. James, likes all the variety, but cornerback is his home.

"There's no way I'd ever want to leave cornerback," he said. "But I like playing receiver a little bit, and the coaches always put me over there in real good situations, where I'll do well. It's been kind of easy for me. Returning kicks is not going to be that hard, either."

2. bubbafong

bubbafong Founding Member

Wow Tirk. I can't decide if your new icon is really funny, or really disturbing. Perhaps a little from column A, a little from column B...

3. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

Is that a picture of tirk?