Major BCS changes unlikely

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by gumborue, Apr 29, 2008.

1. buckeye78

buckeye78 Founding Member

Absolutely. Thing is, the Big Ten may be a little down, but there are still some quality teams, young teams, that are getting better. If you look at the roster of the 01 hurricanes, it's painfully obvious who had the most "talent". The heart attack after heart attack season of 01 is one of my favorites because of how many great moments it had. The 02 championship was forged in the regular season, when our team developed a championship mentality. The regular season is a playoff, and that's what makes each game so special, when every moment still elicits a jump in your heart rate. This does not exist anywhere else in the sports world. While my hats in for a plus one, I not sure whether playoffs are the way to go either.

2. P&G_wheelz007

P&G_wheelz007 Football anyone?

I agree Buckeye. A full blown playoff would diminish the regular season and lessen the importance of many long-standing rivalries.

My only real issue with the current BCS system is that it's still a popularity contest. When you get to the end of the season, you really don't know that the 1 loss team from the SEC is better/worse than the 1 loss team from the PAC-10,Big-10 or Big-12.

That is why I would like to see a Plus-1.

However, the BCS has done two things that it was originally designed to do:
    1) Ensure there is a TRUE National Championship game- you get 2 of the finest teams in the country playing.

2) Since there will always be several teams in the mix, the BCS's job is split hairs, and determine which team(s) is the most deserving of the opportunity.

:crystal::geaux::crystal::geaux::crystal:

3. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

A playoff wouldn't have to lessen the integrity of CFB if it were appropriately sized. Annoying. :cuss:

4. eL eS shU

eL eS shU Founding Member

There will be no changes in the BCS untill 2014 at the possible earliest.