Making 1st Trip to Death Valley

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by natron20, Sep 20, 2006.

1. natron20

natron20 Freshman

Hi Everyone,

I am a Kentucky football fan and will be making my first visit to Baton Rouge next month.

Since no one in my group has visited before I was hoping someone here would be kind enough to post some tips, insights, or suggestions so that we can make the most out of our visit. For instance, what about parking? Any thoughts on that?

One question on my mind is our seat location. I received the tickets today and we are in 43BX Row 1. My guess is these seats are so low they are horrible. As am I not a booster I tend to not get good seats when I order for road games. I do not see this section anywhere on the seating chart but was told it is actually BELOW 402, or in that area. Could anyone offer any guidance on what we can expect from watching a game in these seats?

We are visiting for the experience and hopefully these seats, regardless of view will allow us to make the most of our visit.

I appreciate your time reading my post and if you take the time to respond my sincere gratitude.

Good Luck.

Nathan

2. macatak911

macatak911 CRAIG STELTZ = BEAST

welcome!

heres a map to get you started

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&KEY=&ATCLID=177166&SPID=2164&SPSID=31697

i usually prefer the orange free parking because of the quick access out of the stadium...the other lots seem to bottleneck onto nicholson.

i believe you are pretty much on the field with those tickets but you shouldn't have anybody blocking your view because they are not sideline...

come prepared to sample some of the greatest food god had ever given man.

Hope you have a great time (minus the game). let us know if you have any more specific questions.

3. adamsblueguitar

adamsblueguitar Freshman

Get on campus as early as possible on gameday morning. Walk around and talk to tailgaters, they'll usually offer food. Try as much as you can! Parking gets really bad really quick, so the earlier the better.

I think you have pretty good seats if you ask me. Much better than nose bleeds at least.

If you wear Kentucky's colors, you will get "TIIIIGERRRR BAAAAIIIIIITTT!!!" yelled at you a lot, but it's all in good fun. 90% of people will be nice to you, and there may be a few jerks who you should just ignore.

Oh yeah, and don't come expecting a win and you will leave happy! :hihi:

4. Nutria-Hunter

Nutria-Hunter Freshman

Get to campus as early as you can and parking will not be too bad, plus it will give you all day to walk around and check out the scene. Bring plenty of that good Kentucky Bourbon that ya'll are known for.

Come back to this forum after the game and tell us how the trip went.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Welcome to the board natron. Enjoy the game. Check the stadium map link below to see a view of the field from your seats.

GAME DAY INFO:
    If you come four hours early you will find plenty of free parking. The north side LSU lots are small and fill up quickly. Avoid parking in the high-crime neighborhood to the north of campus, the better parking is on the south side anyway. If you run late, the big free grass lots off the river road aren't that far from the stadium.

Try these links for maps and info:

Getting to the Game: Traffic, Parking, and Tailgating

LSU Game Day Experience

Tiger Stadium

Interactive Stadium Map: See Your view of the Field

We eat good in Baton Rouge. There is some damn good food in this town, especially seafood. Mike Andersons, Phil's Oyster Bar, Drusilla Seafood, and Ralph & Kacoos are the most popular. All will be crowded on game weekends but you can get in with a reasonable wait, they are used to it.

TJ Ribs is especially good at moving a crowd through on game day and serves fine BBQ. Good off-campus Bar & Grills abound. The Chimes, Walk-on's, The Pastime, Georges, Ivars, Sammy's and Brewbachers are all great LSU bars with good food. Juban's is kind of upscale but has the finest Creole cuisine in town. Boutin's for Cajun cuisine and music.

And don't forget 24-hour breakfast at Louie's Cafe, a classic just-off-campus diner with the best omelettes and burgers in town.

Game-Day traditions: Go see Mike the Tiger's new habitat, our live Bengal Tiger Mascot. There is usually a Jambalaya stand nearby, try it! The LSU Tiger Band marches down the hill to Tiger Stadium well before the game and it is something to see and hear. It will be crowded, but the crowd response is part of the show.

Tailgaiting is legendary around campus before the game. Nobody, I mean nobody, cooks more or better food than LSU tailgaters. Friendly fans are always welcome to join in.

You will hear the "Tiger Bait" taunt about 700 times on game day. Don't worry, it's a friendly taunt meant to annoy you, like the Tennessee band playing Rocky Top all day. We don't actually feed people to the tiger. The proper response is to smile, retort with your own taunt, and say, "What's that I smell cooking over there?".

6. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I like to park behind Highland hall on Rapheal Semmes Dr. I find it easy to get off campus after the game. Be sure to get to campus early. I reccomend 10 hours of tailgaiting at a minimum.

Some places you may want to try out include

The Chimes- great beer selection, try the boudin balls
    Raul's Deli- best hamburger in Baton Rouge
    Louies- short order breakfast 24 hours a day.

I like ti tailgate near the union because the bathrooms stay clean and there is always toilet paper for r#2. This is close to the parking spot I recomended.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The box seats are basically field-level seats. Along the sidelines they are bad because the view is locked by the standing players. But if your seats are below section 402, in the corner of the endzone, you'll be able to see the field and you'll be right on top of the action in that endzone.

There is an excellent chance you can upgrade the tickets from one of the scalpers outside the stadium. The game is not a sellout yet so prices will likely be reasonable.

Your seats will be just in front of the purple wall below in folding chairs. Click to enlarge:

8. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Here's a pic of the stadium.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can check out where your tickets are. The student section is on the NW, there's none better! The trip and the experience will be well worth the money.
    If you get some unused, tickets, bring them, there are always people looking to buy outside the stadium. There is a site that you can actually see a real view from where your tickets are.... I had it and I can't find it but I'll look more.

9. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

The above map of the stadium may not be that helpful, all of the sections were renumbered this year. Here is the new layout, click to enlarge. Enjoy the game except for the score !

10. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Thanks Hatch, I just realized that. Natron, use Red's interactive map, that's the one I was speaking of, it's the best one.