Making the Switch... be careful what you wish for.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Jun 24, 2006.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

I'll be the first to say, I'm not the closest to the LSU baseball program (not nearly as in to it as hoops, for those that know me), but I think recent events are interesting from an analogy standpoint. The passion of our fans can be a double-edged sword as the desire and needing to win seems at times to work against us.

Remember not too long ago, John Brady was blasted for his coaching style, results and player management, despite winning at near the top of active SEC coaches in the last few years and building a growing program. He of course (luckily for him) had a break out year making the FF, and now has solidified his position here. It wasn't that long ago, however, that fans were calling for his head. In many ways, Brady presevered in spite of the "fans."

Now, Smoke was a different situation in my mind. Largely because results from his teams were objectively worse year over year and attendance sagged year over year--ALTHOUGH he had the winningest SEC record in the last 5 years. A change was needed IMO, and Skip probably had his hand forced due to Smoke not making the post-season play. BUT, as so many fans are probably figuring out, LSU's leverage to land that "national championship" caliber coach maybe isn't as good as they thought. How many coaches have pulled out now? In the light of a sure pay raise for many of these folks (Corbin, Wells, Bianco, Horton,... all averaging $200-300K turning down a job that might pay as high as $500k), I'm surprised how folks are reluctant to succeed Smoke. Could it be the pressure of LSU? Following the legacy of Skip? Now, I do think that in some instances, these coaches feel obliged to schools that have stuck by them in thick and thin, as they tried to build their programs... and loyalty DOES matter. Now, we're only able to say for sure that Jim P is eager for the "step up" for more $, more pressure, and we're hoping that perhaps Pat Casey (who makes like $100k+?!--he'd be my choice in a heartbeat) will also entertain us. These are probably the level of coaches that are willing to leave their "comfort zone" for a clear step up in national exposure in exchange for the hot seat of LSU coaching land. We find ourselves still playing in that "up and coming" but "smaller tier" echelon of coaches to lead an already great LSU franchise.

What's my point? I guess it's just that I've seen 2 high profile coaching spots open up at LSU in recent years (possibly more if Brady's spot was also pressured into being open), and the "perceived" results of those spots being filled didn't go nearly as well as many folks would have hoped. Miles wasn't Butch Davis, or Jimmy Johnson, etc., but he's gotten a chance to prove himself and the world didn't end. Perhaps Jim P. or Pat Casey will be that guy to fill in and have to live to LSU's unreal expectations--hopefully, do a good job at that too. But, fans should remember this the next time they call for another coaches' head on a platter.

But, I leave this thread with... why do you think we can't attract that "high profile" "established" coach... for arguably one of the top 3 or 5 programs in the country? The fans? The pressure? The facilities? Skip? It certainly isn't our inability to pay folks...

:geauxtige :bball: :champs: LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. PACK THE PMAC!

2. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

We don't have to get an established high profile coach just one that has more potential than Smoke had. No matter how this search turns out it was time to make a change. However if we do end up with a coach not up to the challenge the blame should be placed squarely on Skip Bertmans shoulders, because if you can't go out and get a quality coach to coach LSU baseball your not worth a dime as an AD. Although my favorites have bowed out of the competition, if Skip pulls his head out of his anus in time we should end up with a good coach.

3. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

You know what? Why does LSU always feel the need to go after the BIG-NAME coaches? Those coaches had to start somewhere BEFORE they were big--they weren't just born that way... LSU needs to get an up-and-rising coach like Pawlowski, Casey or Fox. If it were my money being spent, I'd opt for Pawlowski. We need a guy with a pitcher's mentality who understands the game. With LSU's resources, he could do well what he pleases and be very successful.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Why do people have the notion that Skip must rob another major baseball power of their coach to have a successful search? That rarely ever happens, in baseball, football, or basketball either. For a coach to leave a program that he built for another one requires more than $$$.

Nobody expected Skip to go out and hire Stoops or Carroll to replace Nick. Why should we expect him to get Wells or Horton to leave established winning programs to start over? Skip is talking to the top coaches to show the fans that he's aiming high and to impress the eventual coach that he's in good company. But he will likely find the right man at a smaller, lesser known baseball program.

LSU is not an inherently better place to coach baseball than any other school. LSU has great crowds because of Skip Bertman's achievements, not because of Alex Box Stadium, LSU tradition, or anything else. A coach is not guarranteed to succeed here and he might get fired even if he does. Top coaches of winning programs get good pay and are happy where they are.

What we need to find is a winning coach, a younger man, and a real comer in a lesser program who is not entirely happy there. Like when we hired Nick from Michigan State or Dale Brown from Utah. Money talks, but a job upgrade talks louder.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Both Red and Tiger'nHornLand deserve green for their posts. Twisted? Well whaddya expect? The dude is always pissed about something.

Edit: I haven't tried to give rep points here since January, yet it won't let me. Weird system.

6. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

What are you talking about crack head? What I said wasn't much different than what red said.

Pawloswki would kill to have the LSU job and would make a great coach, not even Skip should be able to screw this one up too bad. Are you saying it wasn't time to make a change? Are you saying that Skip did the right thing in hiring Smoke in the first place? Are you saying Pawlowski wouldn't be a good hire? Once again you make a post with no substance and can't pass the chance to attack another poster, get a life.

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Like I said...:dis:

8. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Not sure why this thread cracks me up so much, but anyways... Red, you nailed it.

9. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

I don't think that I disagree with this sentiment all that much, i.e., I'm not necessarily one that think that a program HAS to have a veteran coach to win. A young, hungry guy can in many instances prove to be a good move, if he is in fact successful. But, it's funny, because I think if you asked most fans earlier on in this process who LSU could get if Smoke was gone, they WOULD say that we get Bianco, Wells, Horton, etc., simply because perhaps they had an overinflated perspective on LSU's baseball program. I think you can debate whether LSU's baseball program was in a similar spot as UNC basketball when they went out and got Roy Williams to come home. We fancy that kind of acquisition--it's not that rare to see a true "tradition" go after a big gun, counter to your point (Kentucky, steals Tubby. UNC steals Roy. Texas "steals" Garrido.). I guess I was just remarking that perhaps LSU wasn't in that kind of position.

I'll say that I don't know if Jim P. or Pat Casey would be any worse than Wells or Bianco, other than they're "hometown" LSU guys who are proven commodities in the SEC. Ultimately, I'll be happy with whomever Skip finds ultimately, b/c I trust his judgment in baseball and we needed a change from Smoke. Pat Casey being to two CWSs in the last two years would kind of put him in a proven realm IMO and hopefully, Skip's talking to him this weekend.

I just make the post b/c it's an interesting debate when you consider a coaching change. To be honest, I was one of those guys that was saying IF Brady was to get the boot, we needed to get an "established" guy and not an unproven one.

10. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

It is hard to get a high profile coach to move anywhere. That would me a horizontal move, and coaches tend to look for verticle moves.