Making the Switch... be careful what you wish for.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Jun 24, 2006.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

If I was Skip . . .

I wouldn't come back to coaching . . . at least not at LSU. Having already gone out on top as LSU's baseball coach with an amazing record and a street named after him, why risk having problems and tarnish a golden rep? The league has changed in the 6 years since Bertman coached and there are half a dozen baseball programs that can compete with LSU now. No, I'd leave that feather in my cap.

I'd cap my athletic director career by finding another good baseball coach for LSU, building a new baseball stadium, and finishing as perhaps the best AD in LSU history in terms of wins by all programs. I'd retire at the top of the game as AD, too.

Then if I still had that burning desire to coach again, I could coach an AAU team, a minor league team, or perhaps . . . LSU-Eunice or LSU-Alexandria.

If I was Skip. :grin:

2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

And his ego, or pride, just could be the reason why he doesn't want to come back to the bench. He is more knowledgable about the landscape change in college baseball as anyone, heck he's been preaching about it the last 3 years. If his ego is what so many proclaim it to be and by his own admission no one is going to domiante college baseball ever again like LSU did in the 90's than he would best serve his ego by not coming back to wear the Uniform.

3. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

I agree on all counts.

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I think he won with better than average to great pitching and guys who could flat out hit, homers through most of his tenure, gappers at the end. And I think that would still be the case, I don't think you'd see him play Texas' kind of ball with 11 sacrifice bunts in a game ever that's for sure. Maybe he would focus more on defense though since the errors are much more important in this day and age since runs are always being scored in such huge numbers.

Anyway, I really don't believe he has to come back and prove anything of the sort, that he can win with differing styles, remember he is in the first class of the college baseball hall of fame.