Mandel: Time to take off the SEC blinders

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by paducahmichael, Nov 20, 2010.

1. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

Mandel is cut from the same cloth as the tools from ESPN. I don't recall him ever saying anything positive about LSU. These idiots can't stand that we're 10-1, when they all had us losing to Florida, Alabama, WVU, etc.

:geauxtige

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You can blame all of this on the Tennessee game time management debacle. It has clouded everything that LSU has accomplished this year and clearly prejudices every sportewriter in the country, who now all feel like they must try to get LSU downgraded in the subjective polls, because the computers love LSU's hard-as-hell schedule.

The rest of the country is tired of hearing about the superiority of the SEC and they are determined that anybody but LSU or Auburn is going to the title game. i guarantee you that all of the talking heads will be predicting Arkanasas and ALabama wins this week.

And if it doesn't happen they will play up Cam Newton's troubles and Les Miles mad hat to downgrade them some more in the viewers eyes.

1 person likes this.
  3. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

yeah, if we don't make the BCS CG, which it is looking less and less likely, then I hope Wisconsin makes the Rose, and we play tOSU again. would really like that matchup, and we could put a beating on them again!

4. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I wonder how he'll explain the coming close score between tOSU and Michigan?

Wisky beat San Jose State by just a couple scores and that was a week after Bama beat the **** out of them. The thin win at ASU really stands out though. Is a one point win over a 4-6 OOC team that more impressive than a seven point win over a rival and conference foe? The same ASU team almost beat Stanford this past week, too.

For LSU to be sitting at 10-1 with their QB issues after six ranked opponents and number seven less than a week away is nothing short of impressive.

5. alfredeneuman

alfredeneuman Founding Member

Why? LSU has already checked that block. I would rather see LSU play a team it hasn't played recently. Not to mention LSU's defense has gotten run over by mobile QBs.

For what it's worth, LSU doesn't deserve to play in the BCSCG if it can't win the conference. Same went for Nebraska, same went for Oklahomo, same went for UGA when they were crying in 2007. Winning a bowl game against a Big 10 team simply to prove Robert Smith or Mandel or any of those talking heads wrong doesn't really help LSU's image in their minds, anyway. So who gives a crap what they say.

The best scenario for LSU is to win out and defeat Boise or TCU in a BCS bowl. That happens, LSU shuts up every talking head in the country and makes Smith and everyone else who has man-love for those two look like complete clown shoes.

6. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

Wisconsin is not dominant, they just play crappy teams. They gave up 28 points to Michigan, in a 41-28 win, and 23 to Indiana in an 83-20 win ... but it's US that don't play defense?

Give me a break.

7. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Your record is impressive... hellava fun season to watch for spectators, fans.... and, yes, even the talking heads. You gave them a lot of fodder!!

The Wissies got their injuries fixed and are a much better team than they showed early. They and tOSU will be a load for anyone in the post season. I know how fun it for you guys to knock the Big Ten (not sure why anyone would this year), but I guess it's an SEC eternal flame thing...

Heck, we now have four losses and can't wait to play an SEC team in one of the Florida venues. I know, call me crazy, but we'll play our game and represent our university just fine.

Now go beat Arkansas and quit worrying about every thick-skulled media head comment. It's a game. It's played on a field, not an espn studio.

8. lsufan_in_ohio

lsufan_in_ohio East Ascension High '76

Man we had to have an adult come in and mess up our cryin LOL....being stuck in Big 10 country as I am I must say I do see an improvement in the big 10 this year. 3 10-1 teams not bad. should be some good match ups with the SEC this year and 4 teams total for both conf going to a BCS game.

9. TigerStagg

TigerStagg Founding Member

the way college football determines a champion is so utterly illogical. reading these columnists' arguments sounds like a passage from the book Catch 22. And these guys have real power too because the voters are reading these columns.

i'm done worrying about what the national bloggers and columnists have to say. they all agree that the SEC is the toughest league top to bottom. it's really not even debatable anymore and it disgusts the rest of the country.

we don't have to apologize to anybody for winning 10, hopefully 11, games with our schedule. No such thing as style points when you play in our league. We don't need approval from these critics to validate our season. our schedule and our win column do that for us.

as long as its the opinion of sportswriters (biased by region), coaches (biased by self-interest), and tv networks (biased by promotion of product) and not actual football games that crown the national champion, the sec championship will remain the ultimate trophy in college football. that's what we're really playing for.

we have a tougher road than anybody going in, so the approach you have to take as an LSU fan is: win as many games as you can, compete for the SEC title, win whatever post-season game they send you to, and at the end of it all, if the national blowhards want to call you the national champion. so be it. thanks but that's not why we are here.

the mythical national title can't be the ultimate goal if you don't even control your own destiny (see auburn 04). a true athletic competition doesn't involve 3rd parties voting for who is better. just because it's always been that way doesn't mean it makes any sense. until the "good ole boy" powers that be die off and are replaced by people with vision and sense, the national championship will always be mythical. the SEC title will always be real. in the current system, you must value the real hardware over the subjective hardware.

10. roynav

roynav free your mind

Call me crazy, but if the SEC gets jobbed out of a shot at the NC this year--even if its a one loss team, AND if they dont fix the bowl system to crown a true national champion, then I wouldnt mind seeing the SEC add about 2-4 more quality teams, have a playoff and call the winner the national champion and decline to participate in the BCS. Let the BCS have their Stanford/Oregon/Boise St/TCU national champion. They'd have so much street cred.