Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend didn't exist

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Mezmorizor, Jan 16, 2013.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

What's crazy about polygraphs, my wife constantly watches ID channel, all those datelines, and on the case with Paula Zahn, cold case files etc, alot of the times it seems like they don't believe you when you decline a polygraph, and don't believe you when you pass one either.

col reb likes this.
  2. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

nah, you've got that one wrong, my friend. she ain't ugly, but she ain't hotter than AJs.

Richdog likes this.
  3. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

well, by today's standard, you'll need a some faggot on the show, too. i guess, Manti could play that one?:eek:

4. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Manti gave his explanation sort of to Jeremy Schaap of ESPN last night. http://www.latimes.com/sports/sport...was-not-part-of-hoax-20130118,0,2650599.story He had his lawyer and allowed no cameras. He claimed he was a victim of the hoax yet admitted to "embelishing" on the story...he told his father he met her....and so on.

This is really a curious case and it would be nice to see some documentation on all these claims. I mean how can you believe all of what he says when he admits lying?

I think Manti still has some splainin' to do.

5. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

6. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

I suspect he will wait and wait, and then wait some more; never really divulge all the facts or expain why a star LB in the midst of a Heisman campaign and NCG run(for a school starved for national relevance) wouldn't be able to find/want an actual human girlfriend. He will say how he learned from the experience and has become a better man, and how he's gonna start some website or association or something to prevent future hoaxes on unsuspecting victims or what not. All of that is great, and IMO probably the right and noble thing to do. However, I think the sheer embarrassment of it all will prevent him from really explaining in detail what he knew, when he knew it, and why the hell he basically had an "imaginary" girlfriend. At least publicly. I also have a nagging suspicion that his sexual orientation may be a bit of a mystery, esp. to Manti himself.

7. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

The press is really piling on T'eo...trying to cross examine him and either make him lie more or expose lies.

This is the extremely hypocritical because they were the ones who were irresponsible by not doing basic journalism ethically....like not checking on sources for starters. The press is hanging this poor guy out to dry...exposing him to harsh criticism in order to deflect just criticism of themselves.

Shame on the press...epic fail !!!!

gynojunkie likes this.
  8. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

I hear you on your dislike of the press. No arguement there. However, IF Manti knew she wasn't real b-4 speaking about her death, then I believe he deserves 0 sympathy. People die from cancer everyday, and to use that in a false manner for personal gain is deplorable. No excuse. If Manti is a victim, then I agree with every part of your statement.

stevescookin likes this.
  9. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I just asked my wife what she thought about the Manti Te'o situation. She said,"So what? Jan made up a boyfriend on The Brady Bunch."

And that, my friends, drills right down to the bedrock of this story....why does anyone care?

10. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I'll give you one reason.

We have a player who has been awarded as many, if not more, collegiate awards than any other player in college football history. A lot of this attention started when the story was shared about his girlfriends death right before the win the Irish had over Michigan State.

People who vote for these awards looked at a player that had lost his grandmother and girlfriend within hours of each other and played one of the best games of his career. That's something, if true, shows a remarkable amount of human resiliency. The cross he bore in that game and the mere fact he played at Notre Dame went hand it hand. It put him in the national spotlight.

Now, we find out this was fabricated. And, while knowing it was fabricated he continues to discuss this enormous burden all the way to Miami.

There are those who have votes in these awards that took that into account. And, by doing so, allowed him to be awarded honors that should have been given to other players who deserved the recognition for what they accomplished on the field this past season.

While I couldn't care less about the Heisman—I consider it the "hypeman" trophy—there are other awards that were bestowed on him he clearly didn't deserve. And because of his lies, they are now in the wrong hands.

This link confirms what I assumed earlier in this post: