Marcus Randall: Is it just me?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by max, Jan 18, 2004.

1. max

max Founding Member

Is it just me? I feel that if one of the two redshirt QBs can't beat Randall by the beginning of the season, they have been way overhyped.

First, Randall: He was not a highly regarded prospect as I recall. I could be wrong. He had one promising game against South Carolina and has been horrible in every other game. Look at what Mauck was doing in 2002 before he got injured and the team was doing. They picked up where they left off with Mauck back this season. Randall constantly made poor decisions and poor throws. We barely won games that we should have won solidly, and lost games like Arkansas that we should have won. The time that Randall was in this year, he looked just as bad. He just threw the ball up and it was lucky not to get intercepted. Saban is one of the best football coaches in the world, but I am worried that he will go with Randall because he is a senior. He did that with Booty for a whole year until he was injured and everyone saw how great Davey was.

Now, Russell and Flynn: Russell looks like a winner on the sidelines. Supposedly, one of the best quarterbacks to ever come out of the state of Alabama. Both quarterbacks have had a year and half to learn the system. Other freshmen star QB prospects have done great: Vick, the kid at UF, Croyles, too many to name. Flynn supposedly is a Mauck-type with more physical talent as it relates to playing quarterback.

I don't think that we will repeat with Randall. People say we should play Randall because you can't win with a freshman. If Randall's arm and decision making are the same as they have consistently been, he is worse than a freshman in both areas.

This team can go far with whoever because because of the defense and running game. Mauck was more of a guy who won by not losing, which was perfect for his team. Randall is not that kind of guy. I would rather see a freshman develop over the year. If we could add a "Davey to Reed-type" passing game to what we had last year with the defense a running game we will be close to unstoppable and one of most fun teams to watch ever.

Rant over: I know I am an idiot for offering a critique when we have the best coach in college football and maybe football, period.

P.S.: That Cleveland Browns Staff was just amazing. Belischeck, Saban, Ferentz, and Hill on one staff.

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

i like your analysis. maybe the way things will happen is that randall will start the first 2 or so games against the creampuffs and slowly give it up to russell who finishes the season (with a crystal trophy of course).

but like you said, i am sure we can rest easy that the right calls will be made.

3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

If Randall beats out the other 2 guys he deserves to start, if he doesn't then he doesn't. By the way, the defesne lost 2 of those games last includibng the Arkie game, not Randall. I think every LSU fan who still has blood running through their veins is hoping that JR is as good as hyped but if he isn't he would be like 1000's who have gone before him. Hype is just that, hype.

4. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I would say that Saban played Booty his Senior year because he
    had the most experience and because he hadn't been around them enough to know which one was better, to close to call.

With the Freshman QB's he has had more of a chance to see them develop and learn the system.

To be honest with you, worse case scenario:

If we do have some early troubles at QB we have to be able to
    run the ball and play defense, the rest will take care of itself.

How many teams have we seen win with great defense and a
    running game?

I would guess and say Nebraska and Bama of the past off the top
    of my head.

the 92 or 93 Bama team that beat Miami?

5. max

max Founding Member

LSU in 2003 with defense and a running game

6. Turbotigerfan

Turbotigerfan Founding Member

Some players shine in practice and stink in the games. Booty, at least while he was at LSU, was one of those guys. Rohan was a gamer and winner on and off the field. Not to be derogatory, but if Randall has proven anything so far in his career at LSU it is he is not a gamer, and he has had more than ample opportunity to prove what he can do.

One thing that sticks out glaringly in my mind is last season's La Tech game when Randall played the end of the first half and almost the entire second half. Despite the fact he was up against an inferior defense, a defense ranked 117th at the time, he never once was able to lead the offense to a score. Contrast that performance with what Mauck accomplished in the first half, going 14 for 14 and leading the offense to 49 points.

If our two young quarterbacks don't win the depth war with Randall by the start of the season, then LSU will be in very deep trouble come next year. However, I have little doubt that that will be the case. Because of their abundant talent, I look for our two young quarterbacks to develop well next year and our offense to be even better than last season's NC offense.

7. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

The process will take care of this situation. Players can and do get better with experience etc. Rohan struggled early in his career and ended it as one of our best QBs. You never know.

8. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

Two names from recent LSU history easily dispel that myth...Tommy Hodson, and Herb Tyler.

9. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

It's quite simple really...

Saban will play whoever is goinh to give us the best chance of winning in 2004. The biggest thing with the freshmen will probably be there ability to pick up the offense as well as read the defense, especially for check offs and check with me type plays. But anyway, this spring should be very, very interesting with all of the competition at the skill positions. The thing I am most interested in other than the QB spot is safety, which one of the young DB's is going to be able to take over QBing the secondary, could it be Landry that assumes that role, which would make it easier for a new starter to come in or will one of the younger guys be able to handle it all. Maybe Prude moves to safety. Whatever, it should be real competitive at a bunch of positions with all of this remarkable talent we have.

We have about seven guys that will be battling for a d-line spot and about 6 or 7 battling for 2 L-ine spots. I think Livings and Niswanger will win the O-line spots as they both played a lot and played well last season. We do however have some super studs waiting in the wings. The D-line spot should be very interesting.

10. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Booty didn't play his senior year at LSU. If Russell doesn't start, he probably was overhyped. I expect him to start because of what everyone is saying about him. If he doesn't, I trust the decision of Saban/Fisher.

If you think Randall only played well in the South Carolina game, you probably let the AU & Bama games linger too much. In the Bluegrass Miracle game, Randall had 3 TDs, 0 Ints but the defense struggled. In the Ole Miss game, Rick Claussen looked like a middle school QB before Randall came in to save the day. Without Randall, we lose to Eli 2 out of 3 years like we did to Archie. In the Arkansas game, Randall was awarded player of the game before the two hail mary passes ripped our hearts out. In the first half of the Cotton Bowl, the commentators (and quite a few Tiger fans) expected a battle for the starting job this year.

By the way, I think Mauck was the better QB this year and hope Russell will win it next year. It's just unfortunate for Randall that he was thrown into the fire without many reps to prepare himself. The AU & Bama games are hard for many Tiger fans to get over. Just remember, athletes get better by working hard, listening to coaches, and repititions. Randall should be a vastly improved QB than the one we saw over a year ago. His playing time this year was all mop up time so I don't think it's worth comparing.