Marcus Randall: Is it just me?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by max, Jan 18, 2004.

1. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

Re: Marcus can improve, dont you believe?

Mauck made alot of poor decisions. Ole miss first play from scrimage, OU 4th qtr pass. if LSU would have won all the games Randall started in last year Mauck would have still started. BUT would you have felt the same about Randall?

Circumstances, playing time, leadership, lots of things determine who starts at QB. Mauck made the comment not to long ago that there were 3 QB's at LSu better than he, and he was certainly a VERY capable QB. I thought I'd bring those plays back to your memory because IF it weren't for our defense stepping up to save us from Maucks mistakes, you might just be here in this forum calling for Matt's head. Unecessarily at that.
    Folks there are 11 players on offense. Randall didn't lose any games on purpose if at all. Mauck almost cost us the NC with that interception but I'm sure he would take it back if he could.

Give the QB's a break, all of them. Saban hates to turn over the ball just like they do, but it happens, welcome to football.

if Randall starts I'll cheer and hope he has the best LSu season ever, breaking Burt Jones and Rohan's records. if he doesn't then he has been a definate cog in the LSU football machine.

he is a good kid and wears the right jersey. Support him, he might suprise you.

if Russel or Flynn starts, it will say volumes about Randall's internal fortitude by staying around. He just might get called on. Football is strange like that. Who'd of thought JV's season would turn out the way it did? he stepped up. LSU is known for that.
    Am I wrong?

2. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

You sound like OMG Trev alberts, got it all figued out huh? LOL

hey here is a clue for you JV didnt do it all on his own. Ever hear of a pulling center? news flash LSU had one helluva Ofensive line this year. had careey not gotten hurt he might have EXCEEDED JV's numbers. you have No way of knowing that.

You seem to miss one thing, LSU is DEEEPPP at these positions. running back by commitee. Saban doesnt have stars. they all get it done. perfect example is our defense, where were all the awards like OU got? I think you'll start noticing Nick Saban does things to promote team work. One of those things is recruiting.
    he said JV "stepped up" thats what he was EXPECTED to do. if he hadn't, then Brousard would have. You did see brousard RUN over other teams players on those few occasions he carried didn't you? The boy is a tank. And your prediction is WRONG.

I think it's safe to say we wont be in ANY controversey like you say. I think we will have a fine season by the time we play Miss State. Care to place a bet?

3. BMoney

BMoney Founding Member

I believe you're comparing apples to oranges here. The RB position is one that freshmen can excel at, and many do so at the college level. The QB position is an entirely different story. It takes a lot of hard work on the field and in the video room to successfully run an offense. Getting the offense in the right play, reading defenses, making quick decisions under pressure are all things that get better with experience. That's not to mention the timing involved in making throws. I'm sure all 3 QBs will be working with the WRs this offseason on their own to get timing down. But the point is that it's a lot more difficult to have an inexperienced freshman QB come in and excel than it is for an inexperienced freshman QB to do the same.

4. Gulf Coast Tige

Gulf Coast Tige Founding Member

JSB, you hit the nail on the head. Randall has worked hard the last few years and he deserves a chance to start next year. He needs to improve and if one of the freshman starts then so be it. I will be rooting for all the Tigers next year.

5. ccgw

ccgw luv'em Tigers

I agree that Randall should be given all the chance. If he wins out to be the quarterback, I am optimistic about his performance. I believe he has learned more working with Matt Mauck. He does have good running ability. With less pressure on him to produce, since he will have good running backs, and great defence to help the team, he hopefully will play within himself and not "push" himself too much. He may surprise many. Any good quality quarterback may look bad when the opposing team's defence outplays the offence. Look at Green, Manning and White. I honestly think he can run the offence better than before, with more consistency and maturity.
    ________
    Extereme Q

6. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

To heck with all this talk, put Skyler Green at QB and run the wishbone. Vincent and Broussard at halfback, Addai at fullback.

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

That says it all.

Pushing who, you're Momma?:D

Who else do you not like and think will cost us a game all by themself so we'll know when to bet?

8. Tiger Trey

Tiger Trey Founding Member

He would take it back and get it to Devery Henderson, who was OH SO open behind the spot where the ball was intercepted.

:geaux: :geaux: :geaux:

9. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

We heard the same bad things about Mauck in the summer

Boy I love all of the posters that think or know how good JR & MF are and think they should start even though none have seen them play a snap of college football. I can give you a list of over a 1000 superstar high school players that never did anything at the college level, nothing. Now I hope and pray that at least one of these guys is as good as the hype but anyone who says that they "think" or "know" who should start is guessing only and of course their hope is really ruling their thoughts.

While I HOPE one of the 2 phenoms is all that he is hyped up to be and wins us an SEC Championship or 2, I also hope that Randall is much better than he was last year, just as Mauck was so much better this year than he was last year; Mauck was terrible in 2002 completing under 50% of his passes and throwing for 130 yards a game. Against Citadel he threw for 90 yards, Moo U he was 4 for 12 for 52 yards, against V Tech he was 15 of 35 for 134 yds, he had a decent game agaisnt Miami of Ohio where he was 15-26 for 215 yds. Against Florida he was effective with 13 of 20 for 153 yds. The best thing I could say about Matt is that against the more inferior part of our scedule he was not overall a good QB. He rebounded awfully well this year, against the wishes of many an LSU fan that were hoping that Russell for the most part and Flynn to a lesser extent, would be the starting QB. Yep, there were many a poster who said the same thing about Mauck last year as they are saying about Randall this year. I don't know why everyone is so positive the young man is not going to rebound and get better, just as Muack did.

He stunk against Auburn and Bama last year, the 2 best teams on our reg. schedule. He had a pretty good game against Kent but of course his numbers were over inflated due to the Bluegrass Miracle. Versus S. Car. he was fairly effecient and against Ole Miss he was actually pretty good. You can't pin the Arkansas loss on him as the defense blew that one and again he had a pretty good game going 14-25 for 203 and 1 T.D. Against Texas is was good the first half, bad the second with many an errant throw, however he was hurt at the end of the first half. Anyway, I would just like for everyone to give em his chance and if he gets beat out that's fine, but let's not chunk the whole season away in January just due to the fact that he wins the job.

10. rickyd

rickyd Founding Member

Saban was on Buddy Songy's show today and said the QB's position was Randals' as of now. But all positions are open for compitition.