News Mark Cuban exploring BCS alternative

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BrettStah, Dec 15, 2010.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

What do you think the College Bowl System, and BCS is all about?

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

We need to leave the bowls intact. It has worked for years and it ain't broke.

I see no need for more than 4 teams in a playoff. There are rarely more than four teams in contention for title by December. Whoever comes in 5th, should have done better.

Play all the bowls in December and on January 1, then a three game, two weekend playoff in January and we're done.

16-game playoffs would add four games to the season of the finalists. Thats a 17-game season for the conference playoff champions. That's a very long season for college teams and it would have to happen during finals.

3. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Just where do some think the millions of dollars come from that support these bowls, and provide the pay outs? Cuban maynot have the Mark Cuban Bowl, yet, but if he wants to he will and I wouldn't be surprised if he is already a huge financial backer to one of the bowls already.

Anyway, I like his idea. It isn't any different than some of us have talked about, with the exception of him having an understanding to how to make the money part work in favor of the system and the schools. Also, maybe the BCS idiots will listen some to a person like Cuban. He kinda knows a thing or 2 about sports and making money.

4. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Exactly. I've been saying all along - take the 4 BCS bowl winners and there's your playoffs. Bowls remain in tact and regular season still matters. I know the NC game is separate of the 4 BCS bowls, so they'd have to eliminate the extra game and go back to the way it used to be.

There may be a little controversy from the at large teams, especially from the non-AQ schools, but at least the championship would be settled on the field.

5. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

whether the world gets a playoff or not in the future, this is what will happen first. even if 16 team playoffs are in the cards down the road, it will start with 4.

i'm ok with that.

i also would not be in favor of anything over an 8 team playoff. 16 is too many. 1-2 loss teams should be able to compete for a NC but not 3-4 loss teams. if you have 3-4 losses, go enjoy a bowl game.

6. LaSalleAve

Ok, that's kind of fair, but it still hoses the SEC, because we beat up each other.

7. LSUtiger327

think of this year, who really deserved to go besides AU and arky. if we win arky, it's us.

plus as an LSU fan, the less SEC teams i see in a playoff (when LSU makes it in), the better.

8. LaSalleAve

Hell I think LSU, Arkansas, and Auburn deserve to be in a playoff. I think we would deserve to be there more than UConn, Virginia Tech, OU, Nebraska, Michigan State, Ohio State, Wisconsin, TCU, Boise, and Stanford.

Wisconsin the winner of the Big 10 conference, had the 84th toughest schedule in the nation. LSU had the 7th or 8th.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Remember that LSU ended up #3 twice in the last decade. With a four-team playoff, LSU might have gotten into the finals.

10. LSUtiger327

which is one of the reasons why it want it no bigger than 8 teams. when you get to 16 you start penalizing the good conferences.

but i see your point. i guess i don't want to cheapen the reg season.

coll fb has the best regular season in sports, period.

the saints could drop 6 games and still go to the SB.

coll basketball has the best post season, but the sport itself lends well to the format. and honestly the reg season isn't as important as coll fb.