News Mark Cuban exploring BCS alternative

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BrettStah, Dec 15, 2010.

1. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

smart man.

2. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

Agreed. There is no way there should be more than 4-8 teams in a playoff if there is one. Or else you lose the greatness of the college football regular season.

March Madness is great, but in actuality it's an awful way to crown a champion. Any tournament that leaves it open for the 65th best team in the country to win the national championship is not doing its job. The regular season proves the best teams in the country throughout the season. The postseason is supposed to match up the best of the best, not try to include everyone.

Any BCS playoff over 4 teams would just not be college football anymore. It solves every problem with the current season (undefeated #3 & #4 teams) without messing up the current bowl system. The bowl schedule would already be set up with the 4 BCS bowls as the playoff games and the national championship game a week later with the 2 winners facing off. It really wouldn't be changing much from the current system, because you can still use the BCS as the measuring stick for the top 4 teams.

3. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I think more than 8 teams is going to seriously hurt the bowls and take away from the regular season. Often, however, 4 teams is not enough.

4. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

I would rather watch a playoff type game over some BS game against some of the teams every large school in this country plays every year just to get another home game and a win.LSU!

5. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

16 game playoff would be the greatest show on turf. Thrills and chills, we would have upsets and endings that would live in college football legend. It would immediately cast a shadow over the NFL and bigger then march madness.

I recall 32 teams to the big B-Ball tournament. For college basketball the number doubles and it's lightning in a bottle. We want more meaningful games at the end of the season not less. If we come up with a fair process that secures the best 16 teams in college football, the excitement level will be off the charts.

Think of the anticipation and buzz of watching elimination games as we speak, instead of the dreaded month long dead zone followed closely by one more meaningless game.

I would like to nominate LaSalleAve. as college playoff commissioner, with the stipulation that said commissioner is omitted from all drug test. Thank you for your time.

6. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

Perhaps a little research will yield a wealth of knowledge. What do you say to Oregon??? Wisconsin, UConn??? How many ranked teams did Ohio State beat this year???

http://warrennolan.com/football/2010/sos

7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Bowls, BCS, Playoff, all wash out, the bigger question is why does the big east have an AQ? What a steamin pile of crap that bunch are. I don't care if tcu is going there next year. Rip that shyt from them and give it to someone that deserves it, hell another at large would be better than anyone representing that motley crue.

8. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

Better yet, get rid of ALL automatic qualifier spots in the current system! Obviously I'd prefer a playoff system, but if we're stuck with the what we have now, I'd rather it simply be modified to require that the top 2 play for the championship, then take the remaining 8 teams for the remaining 8 spots in BCS bowls. Easy to understand, gets rid of "AQ" vs. "non-AQ" distinction, and would allow a particularly strong conference to potentially get more than 2 teams in (current rules prohibit more than 2 from any conference).

To get buy-in to that, they'd most likely have to agree to dole out money to all conferences, even if a conference isn't represented in a BCS bowl.

9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I'd have to think about that one for a bit. I sort of like the AQ thing because it usually means you have to play someone. If we dump it then the boises and tcu's of the world get in by playing sub par competition. Rewarded for a less than half ass schedule if you will. I'm not opposed to letting them earn their way in but "earn" is the key word. I think tcu will get taken apart by wisconsin. This is sort of like when a mouse dies inside the walls of your house. Something stinks but you just can't quite figure it out.

10. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

So as of today Uconn still has 2.5 million dollars worth of tickets they can not sale. Can you just feel the momentum building? It's bowl time!