Mark Ingram

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by Cajun Sensation, Apr 28, 2011.

1. PURPLE TIGER

PURPLE TIGER HOPE is not a strategy!

How many times has a NFL team had two Heisman RBs on their roster?

Now we have one who runs north/south to compliment the one we have who runs east/west.

If Reggie had a compass...he'd be deadly!

2. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

What a great catch by the Saints.

3. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

yeah, will smith is exactly who i thought of as a comparison for Cam Jordan, too. "a poor hungry bastard" is exactly what they needed, but we'll see. CJ was described as a beast, and CGW seems to like him, so time will tell.

definitely like the ingram pick. he will get the offense back to the top.

4. chewie

chewie Glitched

Given the window of opportunity we have with brees, I like the take. He's a super back and a super human being. If he helps us run like we did two years ago, the Lombardi is coming back home to nola.

5. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I don't like the pick. I think Ingram will be a good NFL player, but to me the Saints have had too much success with rookie free agent running backs. Thomas, Hamilton, and Ivory come to mind right off the bat. There was another guy the year before Thomas came around. Last name Branch maybe. With the stable we already have plus the track record of the scouting department I don't see the need to trade a 2 and a future 1 for a running back.

1 person likes this.
  6. chewie

chewie Glitched

Good point. I just think there is a sizable difference between last years backs and Ingram, and if he turns out to be half of an Adrian Peterson it will seriously benefit our running attack.

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

someone finally making some sense around here. Totally agree with this. The Saints have proven over and over and over, that they can find value at the skill position late in the draft, or in free agency. Chris Ivory undrafted, Lionel Hamilton, undrafted, Pierre Thomas undrafted, Marques Colston 7th round, i mean come on, why do you need to trade draft picks to get running back, when you can find 10 of them late or in free agency. What's Ingram going to give you? 4 years if you are lucky?

8. tboy

tboy Founding Member

I can understand the arguments on both sides of this trade and pick. We did already address our DL needs through FA and the draft so I guess we decided to take a shot at a Heisman RB. Heisman RB's don't fall to you at the end of a 1st round that often and I would bet they have a better than average track record of having a decent career. If it ushers Reggie out the door it is well worth it, because I think he is a liability with a huge price tag. Yes, we have been successful in getting RB's at next to nothing, but you can also say it is our talent evaluation that is responsible for that feat. The same people are evaluating Ingram, so hopefully he will turn out as good or better than Thomas and Ivory and not like Antonio Pittman. He has a pedigree as does our 1st pick. I love players with pedigrees!!! Over and over again it is proven that having a close relative in the NFL is a very good indicator of success in the NFL, especially considering the odds of anyone from the general population being a player. We have two picks in the 3rd so hopefully we can get an OLB.

1 person likes this.
  9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

yeah about the remaining years of drew brees in his prime.

The problem with stating some rule you dont do this or that in the draft that cowherd or some other blowhard echos, is if the saints think ingram is an emmitt smith type player, they take him. you dont wait and say well we can get a lionel hamilton later who is almost as good.

you trust your scouting and let the chips fall where they may. being proactive is good if you have qualified management making the decisions. And i think they do. this isnt ditka revisited.

now we just wait and see how it pans out. im gonna go out on a limb and guess hes the best back taken in the first round this year. :D

1 person likes this.
  10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

that's great and all, but in my opinion, Linebacker was bigger need than a running back, especially since you can find one of those anywhere. I just don't think you want to pay first round money to a position who's average league expectancy is around 3.5 years, especially when you have to give up value for the pick.