Mark Ingram

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by Cajun Sensation, Apr 28, 2011.

1. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

This is a good counter, but I don't think you need an elite do it all running back. Every team in the league is moving away from that model. Several serviceable backs with sepecialties is the way to win. The careers of running backs are too short for the investment to ever pay off.

2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

you do if you think hes the biggest difference maker according to your scouting. Now brees finally has a beast within the tackles to open up the passing game.

apparently payton and loomis agreed. thats why they're awesome.

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

it has merit if this was an exact science. Half the first round picks fail anyhow. you dont pass on a guy if you think hes elite. if you like the dude that much more than any other position, you go get him.

you dont pick a guy you like less because cincinnati now waits to take running backs. you trust your scouting and go with it. thats why i like sean payton. he doesnt follow, he leads.

4. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

we were 28th in running offense last year with all of these great finds ya'll are talking about. we needed to upgrade, and this guy appears to be at the level of ESmith and AP. it's a great pick at a position of need, and worth a low first round pick next year and a second this year.

1 person likes this.
  5. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

All those great finds were hurt at various times during the year. We also have a coach that is not exactly committed to the run.

6. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

I hope he is as successful as deuce was for us. Ivory is a beast inside and mark will be also. What's also very important is will he be able to protect drew on pass plays. Being able to pick up the blitz is as important as anything.

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

what about pierre thomas and chris ivory? they could have scooped up Roy Helu, Quizz Rodgers, Demarco Murray, Kendall Hunter, Ridley, all in later rounds, saved the draft picks, and had just as much production at the tail back position.

8. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I don't agree with that. Although Payton is a pass first coach the Saints ran the ball quite a bit in the Super Bowl year. Last season they didn't have a healthy back to run it.

9. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

Great point. I would be much more hesitant, though, with the comparisons to the NFL's ALL-TIME leading rusher and a guy who owns the record for most rushing yards in a game, among others. Good 1st round. At least so it appears.

10. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

you know you've got it good when your 1st round pick is featured on Sports Science. enjoy the freak of nature that is Mark Ingram:

[ame=http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4804143]Sport Science: Mark Ingram - ESPN Video - ESPN[/ame]