Mark Ingram

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by Cajun Sensation, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

the Saints certainly had plenty of access to scope out Ingram:

"Mark was excited to be chosen by the Saints. You've got a team with an outstanding offense, a winning team. And it's the place where he's been training," Segal said of Ingram, who has been living in the New Orleans area this offseason and working out with local trainer Wyatt Harris at the Sonic Boom speed, conditioning and strength training academy in Jefferson.
    Agent for New Orleans Saints tailbacks Reggie Bush, Mark Ingram declines to speculate on Bush's future | NOLA.com

also, during the draft last night, they pointed out how one of the teams used computer software to evaluate how the guy they picked had the same speed to strength to size ratio of the best guys at his position in the league, so you've got to think the Saints and all the NFL franchises use similar software to analyze the guys we take. if i programed software like that, i'd be calling up all the NFL teams and trying to sell it to them. likewise, if i was the owner of a NFL franchise, i'd invest in buying and using such software considering how much money you've got pay the players you decide to take.

2. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I don't know why. It's pretty well documented that Payton has pretty much re-written his playbook around Reggie Bush. When Bush is injured, it's an entirely different play set he uses. If Reggie doesn't come back, it will be because he refused to accept the paycut the Saints will offer him. The Saints want at least 5 runningbacks on the roster and Reggie's skill-set is not easily replaced. Plus, of the four on the roster three are injury-prone.

3. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

If they thought he was an Emmit Smith type player they would never have passed on him at #24.

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

sure they woulda if they thought cam jordan was reggie white. see how that works.

5. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

If they think Cam Jordon is Reggie White Lord help them. Jordon should be solid but he isn't pro bowl/hall of fame material.

6. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

it wasn't just last year. our rushing offense has been bottom 5 for three of the last four years, and the one year we did have a great rushing offense, we won the Super Bowl.

compare the Deuce era to the last four years without Deuce:

The Deuce Era
    2002 -- Deuce rushes for 1,388 (1st Team All-Pro, Pro Bowl)
    2003 -- Deuce rushes for 1,641 (1st Team All-Pro, Pro Bowl)
    2004 -- Deuce rushes for 1,074
    2005 -- Deuce tore ACL
    2006 -- Deuce rushes for 1,057

Team Rushing Offense After Deuce
    2007 -- 28th in NFL (bottom 5)
    2008 -- 28th in NFL (bottom 5)
    2009 -- 6th in NFL (Pierre 793, Bell 654, Bush 390, Hamilton 125, Evans 16)
    2010 -- 28th in NFL (bottom 5)

also, this talk of us taking a top-quality running back in the earlier rounds isn't new. in the 2009 draft, a lot of people (including me) were hoping we would take a power RB in the early rounds. Beanie Wells was the one most people wanted us to take with our 1st round pick. I and others were hoping we'd be able to get Shonn Greene with a later pick.

7. tboy

tboy Founding Member

Here is a list of RB's who won the Heisman since 1976. There are several hall of famers. Most were featured backs. Only about 3 could be considered busts out of 15. Perhaps because some of the more recent winners haven't been superstars people forget how good the winners of the past have been.
    Tony Dorsett, Earl Campbell, Billy Simms, Charles White, George Rogers, Marcus Allen, Herschel Walker, Mike Rozier, Bo Jackson, Barry Sanders, Rashan Salaam, Eddie George, Ricky Williams, Ron Dayne, Reggie Bush.

8. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

we'll see. i'm sure when he was coming out of high school, people were saying "Jordan should be solid but he isn't future 1st round draft material"

out of high school, the dude was a:
    --Rivals 3-star recruit (#37 strongside defensive end)
    --Scout 3-star recruit (#55 defensive end)

9. b_leblanc

b_leblanc That's just my game...

Bush turned down a restructuring of his contract with the saints before the lockout began. He saw what was coming. Bye Reggie, thanks for everything you did for our state.

10. Mezmorizor

Mezmorizor Founding Member

At the very least bush thinks he's gone

Twitter
    "It's been fun New Orleans"
    Sadly I think this is a problem with reggie not willing to take that big of a paycut rather than the coaches not wanting him :/