Mark Ingram

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by Cajun Sensation, Apr 28, 2011.

1. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

well, personally, i did not think that, and did not like those guys. wells has a propensity for hammies (just like GJames did in his heyday) and SGreene wasn't in a league i would bank on talent wise. ingram put out >1500 yards against SEC competition before he even had the mature line that they had last year. dude's a stud, he earned the heisman (i.e. it wasn't given to him like others in the past, he really earned it), he runs b/t the tackles, he doesn't fumble, he has nfl pedigree, and he's a good guy. why are you guys so resistant to this pick? it's awesome. the saints went for it now. the future is just that, the future. not saying you should always put it all out there, but all things considered, this was the right move at the right time. he will get our offense back to the balance we need to be unpredictable while controlling the ball, and will keep our defense off of the field by picking up those first downs that reggie, et al could not. this is a good thing, and the cost was not too high.

2. 100%TigerBred

100%TigerBred Founding Member

I too think he is gone, but if you follow reggie on twitter he has be talking about the Hornets/Lakers Series often and this tweet was right after there loss as well. I see this tweet towards the Hornets and the media spinning it towards the saints and them drafting Ingram.

3. watson1880

watson1880 Founding Member

It has been said here already, but I think we gave up too much for Ingram. However, the comparisons of Ingram to Emmit Smith may well be valid- great ball security, good receiving hands, north south runner, lack of elite speed- but Emmit is at the top of the RB list in yard because of his offensive line. My grandmother could have average 2.5 yards a carry behind those monsters and I would have rather a stud O Lineman be brought in to keep those running lanes open and Drew's jersey clean.

4. pjnchamps

pjnchamps Founding Member

Agree don't think they should've gave up that much...We still got a lot of areas on defense to improve

5. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Where is the pass rusher? Must have someone in mind that will be a free agent.

6. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

You can think of what we gave up for Ingram as a 1st round pick next year OR a 2nd this year. The FAILcons gave up a 2nd and 4th this year and a 1st and 4th next year for Julio. They really gave up a lot. The Saints are a top level team, so the pick could be in the high twenties or hopefully 30s. I just don't see a probable very low 1st or 2nd round pick as giving up a lot, even if Ingram is a bust or is often injured.

7. Mezmorizor

Mezmorizor Founding Member

Agree completely, plus no matter what you may think, there is a reason that RB's that go 7th round or free agent didn't go in the first round. They're either not that great, or injury prone. All of our senior RB's are injury prone.

8. ParadiseiNC

and, essentially, all they gave up "extra" was the second round pick. i mean, you have to spend at least a first round on Ingram anyway, so that is a wash. so, they gave up one extra pick from this year, and got him a year early with next years first round pick. don't see that much negative there. in one swoop, we got Cam Jordan, a top notch DE, and Ingram, arguably the best RB to come out of college in the past few years, all for two no. 1 picks, and one no.2. great value, imo.

9. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I would have used this comment in support of the Ingram pick. There are lots of arguments against trading away what they did to get him but the strength of our running game last year certainly isn't one. We were relying on Julius Jones in the playoffs for god's sake. That's not a good situation.

I'm not sure if this is the right move or not but I'll trust the coaches and enjoy being able to root for Ingram for the first time in my life.

10. ParadiseiNC

i have gotten a few comments about my statement above. so, just to clarify my comparison of MI to ES and AP, it is meant to be when they were coming out of college going into the pros, not necessarily that i am trying to predict MI to have the same success as them in the pros (which i certainly think is possible). i stand by that. running style, body frame, college success, and best back to come out of college in a while is what they all have in common at the same respective points of their careers.