Mark Sanchez vs. Jamarcus Russell

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by LaSalleAve, Jan 20, 2010.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Mark Sanchez rookie season vs. Jamarcus Russell's 2nd season first full season starting. Eerie...

Mark Sanchez - 196 for 364 for 2444 yards 12 TD's 20 int's completion percentage 53.8, qb rating of 63.0

Jamarcus Russell - 198 for 368 for 2423 yards 13 TD's and 8 int's completion percentage of 53.8, qb rating of 77.1.

Could some of the negativity surrounding Jamarcus be the fact that he plays for the Raiders? Has a pathetic owner, a pathetic coach, a pathetic culture, and an environment that doesn't require Jamarcus to excel? Would Jamarcus be as effective if he were the qb in New York with a great running game, and a lights out defense?

2. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

naw most of it is on him, he doesnt want to work at his craft, Sanchez at least appears to be trying and his team is in the playoffs.

3. LaSalleAve

i agree with you, but can't some of it be because of the Raiders? He has no work ethic and doesn't care it seems, but if he were in an organization that was credible, do you think he would put in the effort?

4. LSUMASTERMIND

a little, they won 5 games this year, so some areas improved. However, the guy is just lazy and fat, with all the talent in the world. The worst part of it is, he just doesnt get that he is lazy and fat, he will keep making excuses. I guess it irks me a little when you have so much talent and dont work on it. Raiders will be a shythole for a while, but as an individual Russell should be alot better.

5. PURPLE TIGER

PURPLE TIGER HOPE is not a strategy!

I'm not crazy about Sanchez and I know he's not the reason they've made it this far. If you replaced him with Brees, Favre, or Manning they may go from the longshot to the favorite.

Sanchez will be graded tougher next season as many dismiss his problems due to him being a rookie. Jets fans won't be like some LSU fans and expect to give him three years to produce. They'll want and expect him to mature next season or he may catch hell like Russell.

Although Sanchez doesn't have the skill of Russell, he appears to have more motivation and a better work ethic. Now that the Jets made the playoffs and have won two games, the expectations will be very high (probably unfairly) next season.

I would love to see Russell do well but I don't believe it will happen in Oakland. He would be a project for a QB coach and they won't be inclined to waste their time if he's not willing to learn.

Athleticism alone will not cut it as a NFL QB. Eventually people figure you out and if you're not smart enough to adjust...you're history. Aaron Brooks - :insane:

1 person likes this.
  6. LaSalleAve

It pisses me off too, especially since this guy went to LSU, he is embarrassing the Tiger Nation because he doesn't care. But if he were traded to a team as a back up quarterback, and was seriously humbled, then his number was called, and he had a good team around him, maybe the Giants or something with hard ass like Coughlin, could he be a good quarterback, or will he never give a **** no matter where he goes?

7. LSUMASTERMIND

Maybe the Raiders corrupted him, but thats going to far. Going back to the combine, wasnt he out of shape? Its going to take a Ryan Leaf like situation for this guy to get it and it will be to late then. When you have so much physical talent, probably more than anyone else, you rely heavily on that. The only other guy who has more or equal physical talent is Vince Young, so there is some hope because Vince seems to get it now.

8. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

You're numbers are right on but this is the year people have really come down on him. His numbers were:

120 for 246 for 1287 yards 3 TD's, 11 ints completion percentage of 48.8 percent and a qb rating of 50.

the biggest problem is there has been no improvement at all in his first three years. None. In fact he's regressed. If Sanchez regresses for the next two years, he will be lumped into the same category.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

JR had a good enough work ethic when he was at LSU. Maybe the fact that he was guaranteed at least $32 million dollars the day he signed his contract has something to do with it, but I would like to see him with a better organization than the Raiders and see what happens.

10. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

That might be the case if he would have entered training camp prepared and then got beatdown because "it's the raiders." But that is not the case. Russell shows no effort at all. For the 2nd time, he went into training camp 30+ lbs overweight, and did absolutely no preseason training.