Marquise Hill coming back according to Rivals

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUBayouBengals, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Here's to Defense next year!

BATON ROUGE -- LSU defensive end Marquise Hill withdrew his name from the list of early entrees into the NFL draft on Sunday as the junior has decided to return to school for his senior season, head coach Nick Saban announced.

"I just want to come back for my senior season," Hill said on Sunday. "My first three years at LSU have been very enjoyable and I'm looking forward to another great year next season.

"Getting a college degree is important to me and I also wanted to be able to celebrate Senior Day next year with my mom on the field with me. By coming back, I'll be able to accomplish both of these."

Earlier this week Hill, a native of New Orleans, had submitted his name as an early entry for this year's NFL draft. Juniors who opt to put their name in for the NFL draft have 72 hours to change their minds and withdraw from consideration.

"We're obviously delighted that Marquise has decided to return to LSU for his senior season," Saban said on Sunday. "He's an outstanding leader on this team and he's a tremendous player for us on the defensive side of the football and we're just elated that he's coming back for another year.

"I think Marquise's decision, along with those of our other juniors who have decided to come back, shows the type of commitment to academics that we have at LSU. By coming back for their senior seasons, all of these players are now going to leave LSU with a college degree and that's something that I'm very proud of."

Hill started 13 games at defensive end for the Tigers this season, helping LSU rank first in the nation in scoring defense and total defense. Hill finished with 40 tackles, including 10.5 for losses and six sacks. He led the team with 24 quarterback hurries.

In three years with the Tigers, Hill has played in 38 games with 25 starts. He's registered 17.5 tackles for losses and 10 sacks for the Tigers to go with 108 total tackles.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Whew! I was out of town for four days and I come back and hear Hill was going. Bummer.

This is great news.

3. uscpuke

uscpuke Founding Member

Hopefully this ends it. Thanks for the post.

4. Vincent4Heisman

Vincent4Heisman Freshman

It's being reported on lsusports.net so I'm thinking it's for real!

5. Definitely sounds like the official word we've been waiting for.

6. LSUweezie

LSUweezie Founding Member

Yeah its on LSU's site and the SEC's site Thunder and Lighting will be back

7. -LSU-Tigers-

-LSU-Tigers- Freshman

8. SabanRules

SabanRules Founding Member

That's great news. I really believe both Spears and Hill will improve from Jr. to Sr. year the way Lavalais did this year. Plus, having Hill this extra year gives our reserves (and the several big time defensive linemen we've recruited) an extra year to develop.

9. max

max Founding Member

So two shutdown senior corners, two bookend senior ends, only three new starters needed, and Saban coaching; ahh!

10. This years D is definitely going to be scary, can't wait.