Matt Jones Hurt?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BB, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Jwho77

Jwho77 Founding Member

I think the point for Tiger fans is that Arkansas will likely not be some dead pushover by season's end. That young squad will have 10 games under their belt and will be looking to make a statement heading into 2005 against the defending MNC on national TV. I agree that a winning seaosn for ARK is unlikely, but look for them to still be scrappy and looking to build for the future when LSU heads to Little Rock.

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I think TE's entire analysis of Arkansas has to come under some question after he called Matt Jones "slow". Anybody who has watched even one game knows that his speed is one of his best (and only if you ask me) weapons.

3. Proud Tiger

Proud Tiger Founding Member

4. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I agree. Matt Jones isn't the classic Vick-quick but when LB's can't even get a finger on him, you realize he's got serious speed and elusiveness. I like to watch him play, hopefully he's OK.

Nutt's pre-game speech for the LSU game last year was pretty good. I wouldn't underestimate those guys either. However, I expect them to have a losing season this year.

5. MikebTiger

MikebTiger Founding Member

if Jones were at LSU, he'd be a starter somewhere. He's a tough kid who is tall, sturdy and fast as hell.

Ark. lost everyone from last year's team, but they will not melt down a la Miss State. They'll be competetive in most games, especially home games. They've got an excellent winning home tradition. They've not lost in LR in eons. It would be nice if they kept the streak going til LSU arrives. I will be there to see it.

6. wesfau

wesfau Founding Member

Not to nit-pick...but LR isn't their home-field.

7. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

ITIMCDLT...Once again, let me rephrase myself...No one here is denying that Matt Jones isn't a quick quarterback...What I guess that I meant (and I'm not sorry for clarifying earlier) is that the kid just moves all gangly like...He really looks like he's uncoordinated and he's flailing all over the field...He's the type that isn't "quick" fast in terms of moving through a crowded backfield and eluding a pass-rush...

I mean that-when he gets a head of steam under him and commits to the run-even though it takes him a split second longer, the kid is gazelle-esque in terms of his speed. It just appears that at times, you wonder how this kid hasn't been implanted into the turf of SEC Stadiums across the Conference...

Mr. Technicality rears his ugly head, but I'm glad you brought it up, because when I read it, I honestly kind of rethought the way I put that, too...Matt Jones is obviously fast, but he's not "The next Michael Vick" as those on the Pigpen used to refer to him as in '01...

McDoublecheeseburglerIstlismjism...Sorry I didn't make myself more clear. I hope you'll accept my mea culpa...

8. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

Lethargic and elusive are the best quality with MJ, I'll take Marcus Randall over MJ. :)

9. rookie

rookie Founding Member

Pay attention Wesfau. While LR isn't their home field, it is for the LSU game and they haven't lost in LR in the NUTT era. So yes it is their home field for a few games a year.

10. wesfau

wesfau Founding Member

Touche. Just meant that calling War Memorial Stadium the Hogs home field is not technically correct, even though they play 3-4 games a year there.