Matt Jones to play WR at Sr. Bowl

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by HatcherTiger, Jan 28, 2005.

1. bubbafong

bubbafong Founding Member

I think he could have a shot at several positions. If he put on a little more muscle and learned to block, he could be a valuable TE. If he learned how to catch well and run routes, he could play WR (Remember how Michael Lewis (Beerman) was his first season with the Saints, fumbling and such? He worked hard at it and now rarely fumbles, and comes in and makes some clutch catches at WR, so it's certainly possible). And if neither of those work out, he could serve a purpose on special teams. He's quick, tall, and I'm sure has a good long reach, so if he could learn to tackle, he could make a good coverage guy on kicks. You never know, but he seems to want it bad enough to really work at whatever he needs to, so he's got a shot. But hey, even if all else fails, if he can land a backup spot at QB for a few years, that ain't bad. What's league minimum now? Like $400K or something? I'd take that to sit on a bench for 4 or 5 months out of a year.

2. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

This might be the single most accurate summary of how a player looks that I've ever read. The scouts and Mel Kiper should take note, and use this kinda stuff on draft day! :thumb:

3. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

If you believe Matt Jones runs a 4.3, then you believe Rick James died of natural causes.

4. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

Speaking of, where did you get 4.3?

I have seen at highest 4.5 and lower

5. tigerjeffrey

tigerjeffrey Founding Member

I have to give you guys credit, you're able to objectively consider the relative talents of hated Tiger opponents ... personally I always thought Matt Jones looked like a big goofy dork. He would run the option with these little baby steps looking like he was moving in slow motion, but seemed to just evade the grasp of tacklers. No way this guy has a future at QB, he can't throw. I have no idea whether he can play WR or TE. WR -- I'd say he's too slow. TE? Can he block? I'm just glad he's no longer at Ark. b/c it seems like he's been there for 10 yrs. I'll give him credit, he usually had good games against the Tigers, seemed to always be able to pull one out of his a$$.

6. Abuapu

Abuapu Founding Member

I heard he ran a 4.4, but i guess we will see at the Arkansas pro day or the NFL combine.

7. tigerjeffrey

tigerjeffrey Founding Member

Are you kidding?! You are, right?

Of course I've been known to be in leftfield on some things (I didn't know Jessica Simpson and Willie Nelson, and some guy named Johnny Gatlinburg were in BR filming the future Cannes film festival winner, "The Dukes of Hazzard.") Anyway, based on what I saw when Jones played against LSU, I'd say he runs a 4.6 or 4.7, tops. Unless I'm missing something.

8. gzilla

gzilla Founding Member

Yes. You are missing something. Jones frequently runs away from defenders. You haven't watched him play much if you don't realize that he's fast. He's not quick...and takes a couple of steps to get going. But, he's smooth and is much much faster than he looks. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't have a great 40, but I'd bet he beats almost everyone in the 60 and 100. In other words, he has more field speed than most.

His future is not at QB. And I don't think he's big enough to be a TE. I think he'll be a Drew Bennett type of WR. And, if he can learn to run routes, I think he has a chance to be very effective.

9. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

gzilla, no one said he isn't fast

We are laughing at this 4.3 comment.

I have seen several pages on him and 4.5 at the best is what I see....

10. Abuapu

Abuapu Founding Member

Supposedly one of the annoucers said it during the bama-arkansas game. I didn't watch it, but my friends at bama told me. I think his speed is deceiving. He probably runs a low 4.6, high 4.5.